C320 SE

I have just bought a C320 se which is a flat 6 2.2 litre engined car. I noted the perf data to be around 8.2 secs for the 0-62mph however my car takes around 9.5 secs. Is this because mine is an auto?

John Smith wrote:

No. Problem is due to the fact it is a Mercedes, not a BMW.

LOL, good answer :))
You might want to ask that question in the Mercedes newsgroup.

Sorry - its my wife's car - it's a BMW 320CI SE auto

It's not a flat 6 then.

Indeed; my first inclination on seeing that term was to laugh. John, the term is: in-line. A flat(-head) engine is one where the valves are in the block - there might be a few industrial diesel engines of that design still in production.
I would say that the auto might be a reason that it takes longer to 100kph, but you should be able to find the specs somewhere. Even 9.5s isn't too bad for that engine; although you don't say what year it is, which would also make a difference.
FloydR
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:15:07 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"

A flat engine, six or otherwise, is a "boxer" engine, not a sidevalve, where the valves are in the block.
There are a lot of very, very respectable boxer engines out there. Ferarri flat 12, anyone?
I hope this helps.
--
Dan.

afaik, boxer engine is something you can find in a porsche. it is like a V engine, only with 180 degree angle between cylinders. (spread V).

Flat head is rather different from flat 6. This refers to an engine with the pistons horizontally opposed. Possibly the most common example was the old VW Beetle. Modern examples are made by Porsche and Subaru.
--
*Money isnt everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

wrote It's not a flat 6 then.

And BMW - but only for R type motorcycles (flat twin)
Tom
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Unlerss you turn your head 90 degrees to the side. In which case that I6 looks very flat! ;-)
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here: