California Catalytic Converters

I have a 97 740IL that needs new catalytic converters. You can buy after-market cats on the net, but they won't ship them to California. The BMW dealers say you need to buy BMW cats, which cost TWICE as much.
Has anyone ever put non CA cats on their BMW and then pass a California smog test - thanks for any info
read this:
http://www.ultimategarage.com/catalyst.html
I noted that the link lists 49 State applications for several models, notably my car. Do I assume correctly that Calif. is the state that is not included in the application? Why not?
I noticed that the 5 Series and the 7 Series list California CATs separately from the other states, but the 3 Series does not list a Calif. application. Do you know why?

Steve D'G's web site shows the DEC brand cats as 49 state units, and the California cat, which is a refurbished factory unit.
CARB has stricter requirements than the Federal EPA, and the DEC cats apparently don't meet those requirements.
Brett Anderson KMS

Thanks so much for the info. You have been a big help.