caliper bolts

Page 2 of 2
Dean Dark wrote:

Yeahbut, WD40 is NOT a penetrating oil. Read the can, man...
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

From the WD40 website.
CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, marks and grease making it easy to wipe away. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, and stickers
PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements
LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts
PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts
DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits. Turn the power off before you spray
Mike.

But I do keep penetrating oil in my 'toolbox'
--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

and a hammer _big_ ??? ;-)))

I'd be surprised if they let you get near enough. Mike.

They will, if they think you're going to blow them.
--
Dan.

zantafio wrote:

You are right. Those ball bearings are very expensive because they are so rare. In fact, no (modern) BMW that I am aware of has ball bearings for the wheel hub. They all have tapered roller bearings as 99.9% of all cars do.

Good for you... So how do you suppose that the brake rotor is meant to be removed from the hub? Talk to it nicely? Promise it dinner and a movie?

You are just full of all kinds of great wisdom and advice... WD40 will not damage seals or rubber. It is just a light oil for use in displacing water (actually not even a penetrating oil) and in preventing rust.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:
message

[...]
movie?
Could be but an extractor is far more efficient ! http://www.sam-outillage.com/fichemere.asp?index=4&page=1&idf &recherche=m ulticriteres&sf147=on&sf146=on&sf150=on&sf149=on&sf148=on (join the lines) Wait a minute, I'm coming for dinner !

I agree
It is just a light oil for use in

Since its very thin it may penetrate under the seals and locally dissolve the grease. Even a visual inspection can't reveal it without dismounting. Seal lips may run dry. Wd40 prevents rust as long as there is a film of wd40 in contact with the metal (metal parts inside a bag for example). Spray it on a bare metal surface and let it evaporate. It will dissolve the residual greases and leave the cleaned metal exposed to the air. I made the experience. Pistons don't like it at all.
A bimmer is far too delicate not to be pampered isn't it ?

not*yahoo.com"> a crit dans> > > If you use WD40 or similar, make sure you don't spray on the seals.

Nonsense. If it got under the seals, the seals would be knackered anyway. In any case, the seals that matter are protected by boots.

Rubbish. I agree that as a rust protective it's pretty poor if exposed to the weather, but it doesn't disappear that quickly. Try painting a surface after it 'evaporates' You'll soon find out it's still there.
I made the experience. Pistons

Eh.Now you're fishing for reasons. What pistons? Ally engine ones, or the chromed ones in calipers?

It's not delicate in that sense at all. Suspension, and braking systems, inc calipers are designed to work in the harsh environment of being sprayed with water and road dirt etc. To suggest that a little WD-40 is going to cause problems is just not true, unless it's sprayed in quantity all over the pads and discs, and no one is suggesting that. Mike.
To those of you who think it won't hurt rubber, try spraying it on a blown up balloon and see what happens................
not*yahoo.com"> a crit dans

Is anyone saying that? I thaught we were talking about caliper seals, which are not made of rubber. Oil, including WD-40 will attack and soften rubber, but seals and boots on the calipers, and steering rack etc, and seals in the engine, are made of a neoprene which is impervious to oil. Mike.
Many thanks to all who posted. I finally got everything installed this morning, pads, rotors, wear sensor, new rotor to hub bolts. The rotors came off much more easily after cooling completely overnight. A little penetrating oil and a few sharp raps with a rubber mallet did it. I guess I just didn't wait long enough after driving home from work for the rotors to be cool enough to release easily. Just one addendum to the bolt sizes: the pad carrier bolts are 16mm. I saved more than half the cost of what the dealer charged to do the same job last time.
Regards, Jim