Camshaft sensor-1999 323i

Dear netters,

I have a 1999 BMW 323i. I recently got the service check engine light lit, and got the code and looked it up -- it says camshaft sensor is having a problem. I also took it to a local auto shop, and they also said the same thing.

I was wondering, $900 repair bill for this problem is sensible. The mechanic said the parts are inexpensive, but labor takes 8-9 hours, therefore the high bill. And if it is such a complicated job, should I take it to the dealer, instead of a local repair shop?

I just did some googling on this, and some said it's easy to replace it. Is that true?

Thanks!

Reply to
WK2

Here's a page describing how to do it. But be aware of the exhaust camshaft position sensor which is a tad tougher to reach, from what I read about it.

The part is not that expensive

The dealer is going to charge for the labor, which indeed can take many hours.

Reply to
wernergr

This is a 30 minute project evenif you fumble around for a few minutes. There mgiht be an exhaust sensor too and it comes out with just a socket wrench to remove the securing fastener. It tis located on the front of the engine, left hand side just below the valve cover.

RJD.

Reply to
RJD

I did both in less than an hour. The exhaust sensor was easier than the intake.

Reply to
spammers_lie