Camshaft sensor-1999 323i

Dear netters,
I have a 1999 BMW 323i. I recently got the service check engine light lit, and got the code and looked it up -- it says camshaft sensor is
having a problem. I also took it to a local auto shop, and they also said the same thing.
I was wondering, $900 repair bill for this problem is sensible. The mechanic said the parts are inexpensive, but labor takes 8-9 hours, therefore the high bill. And if it is such a complicated job, should I take it to the dealer, instead of a local repair shop?
I just did some googling on this, and some said it's easy to replace it. Is that true?
Thanks!

Here's a page describing how to do it. But be aware of the exhaust camshaft position sensor which is a tad tougher to reach, from what I read about it. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p 389080
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/101-Projects-15-Crankshaft-Sensor/101-Projects-15-Crankshaft-Sensor.htm
The part is not that expensive
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N 80+9707+4294967267+6858
The dealer is going to charge for the labor, which indeed can take many hours.
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:40:43 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@my.home"

This is a 30 minute project evenif you fumble around for a few minutes. There mgiht be an exhaust sensor too and it comes out with just a socket wrench to remove the securing fastener. It tis located on the front of the engine, left hand side just below the valve cover.
RJD.

I did both in less than an hour. The exhaust sensor was easier than the intake.