Can blown muffler damage engine ??

I have a 1995 318i automatic, 124,000 kms, that needs an original stock muffler replacement ( it's loud )....thing is, it'll be $400 CDN to replace,
and I have to wait a month so I can afford to have it done. My question: Will driving the car for another month with the old muffler do any damage to the engine, or catylitic-coverter ?
thanks
RZ wrote:

Not likely. -- C.R. Krieger (BT, DT)
RZ wrote:

The worst you should expect is reduced engine performance due to less back-pressure.
something:

Be careful not to forget slightly less directly related damage... I blew a rear box on a turbo charged car once, and although it ran fine, and made a fantastic noise, the superheated gasses coming out of the hole melted part of my rear bumper!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

RZ wrote:

No, Only damage will be to your ear drums.
--
-Fred W

RZ wrote:

Get a used box from a breakers? BMW boxes last for years.