Car Phone & CD Changer Question

I have just purchased a 2002 BMW 530i and it is pre-wired from BMW for cell phone and CD Changer. Can I connect any new cell phone to it's hands-free configuration, or do I need a special "BMW" phone?

On the pre-wiring for the CD changer, same question: Can I have an after market unit installed or must I get one from a BMW dealer? If the dealer only, any idea of the approximate price on the CD changer or phone?

Reply to
Larus

The cell phone has to be the BMW brand. But I believe you can purchase a Bluetooth interface box to connect to your cell phone wiring system (about $400) and buy a cell phone with Bluetooth and you can talk hands free through your car's microphone and stereo speakers. I have never done this but have only read about what was available and how things work....so others will be able to give you better advice.

CD changer....I have an Alpine unit in my car trunk (6-disc CD / MP3 player). You have to buy the CD / MP3 player and an interface box (less than $200). The interface box talks to your BMW stereo head unit on one side and then talks to your player on the other side. The interfaces boxes (from Soundgate, Inc.) are designed specifically for a BMW and an Alpine unit. They have other versions for a BMW and a Pioneer unit.....or a Mercedes and a Pioneer. Each interface box works with only the setup (car and player) that you specify. Don't get a 10-disc player.

Here's what I bought.....this was a couple of years ago but I bought it for a 2002 330xi. They may have newer versions.

Alpine CHA-S634 MP3/CD player Soundgate ABMW35V5 interface Alpine KCA-130B Ai-Net/M-Bus adapter cable Total cost was $413 US including shipping and sales tax.

All the head unit and steering wheel controls on the E46 work perfectly with the Alpine unit in the trunk, and the single in-dash cd player works, too.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Allen

Thanks Tom for the alternative ideas. I spoke to my local BMW dealer this afternoon and they advised their cell phone was the only one that would work and it was a $1,000. Ditto on the CD changer, also $1,000.

I'm interested in the Bluetooth interface box so I can buy any Bluetooth phone and then use the car's mic and speakers, steering wheel phone controls, etc. Do you or anyone else know who makes a Bluetooth interface box or where to get one? I note Soundgate apparently only makes one for GM cars.

Larus

Reply to
Larus

"Larus" wrote

They're wrong on the CD changer - there are adapters that you can buy to run most changers; certainly Alpine.

The Bluetooth is that BMW installs supports only a limited number of phones. It's almost impossible to get anything else installed in a BMW, due to the proprietary wiring and computer software. If you have Bluetooth installed, any of about 1/2 dozen phones - not necessarily bought from BMW dealers - will work.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Hmh...My 2002 530i is factory pre-wired for cell phone. Does that necessarily mean that it has Bluetooth installed? If not, how can one know whether it is or not? If it is, where could one find a list of compatable Bluetooth phones-not the dealer, since they say only their $1,000 cell phone will work with the pre-wiring?

Larus

Reply to
Larus

Seth

Nah, in my 2004 320D I fitted an Alpine 6 CD changer that plays mp3 CDs. Only problem is the display only shows up to song 99, so when you are on song 120 say, you don't know if you are on song 20 or not ;-)

Bluetooth in wonderful; just walk into the car and it synchs the address book, dialled numbers and text messages. I'm using a Nokia

6230.

-- John Perry

John Perry

It looks like the BMW Bluetooth kit from Connetcs2usa.com is not yet in production for my 2002 530i, per this email I just received in response to my order:

Larry - We received the info below from our web store. I wanted to let you

Reply to
Larus