Car stolen

Page 1 of 2
My beloved 02 325i has been stolen last week of Sunday. It's a bummer, because I don't know if I'll be able to get another one after everything is settled with insurance. Car is still not recovered.
To all my friends in this group; if I don't get another one, I want to thank you for all the help and support you've given me on maintenance tips and whenever I needed advice. I wish you all the best if I don't come back for a while.
I've been feeling down for the past week, therefore I didn't get a chance to post this until today.
All the best,
William

No so fast. They have an obligation to "make you whole". They will dick with you but they have to replace what you lost. Be polite but firm and research the topic a bit.
On Sat, 06 May 2006 09:28:53 +0000, Richard Sexton wrote:

Yup, different situation, but in the UK if a car is "uneconomical to repair" the insurance offer you a sum of money for what they think is the market value. The first offer, you can usually reject as it's too low.
Sorry about the car.
Lordy

Ah.
But isn't there a difference in market price between a clapped out old hunk and a desirable model fstidiouslky maintained?
And any market value that's fair should allow you to buy another one in roughly the same state, no?

One would hope so. However, insurance companies try to work to 'trade' prices while you will likely have to pay retail.
--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Richard Sexton wrote:

Not necessarily true.
In the US, Fire, Theft and Collision insurance is not compulsory. Only liability insurance is (medical and damage to others). For many people with older cars it does not make economic sense to carry anything more than the required liability coverage. Additionally, even if one does buy the comprehensive coverage, there are varying optional deductibles. If you have, say a $500 deductible and the car is only worth a few thousand you could very well find yourself unable to buy a "like replacement" with the proceeds.
--
-Fred W

Well, sure, with insurance you get what you pay for. Sorta.
If it's that old maybe vintage car insurance is the thing to do. ou tanks have it easy there it's had to find up here in Canada (but I did find it. $150/yr for my 633; full replacement value).

In the UK it's classic car insurance - but most have restrictions on use and certain conditions before granting it. It usually can't be the main car, and a mileage limit may apply. You also may not be allowed to take the car to work. Policies without these restrictions aren't usually any cheaper than 'ordinary' ones - especially if your insurer does a discount for a second etc car.
--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Do you have info about the car.... color,pic's etc etc....... there's 1000's of people on here that can keep an eye out for you !
I don't have pictures, but the car is white with California plates# 4XNS606. Car is all stock with chrome license plate frames with the bmw logo. Beige interior.
Car is stolen from San Jose, CA at the Walmart shopping center on 777 Story Road.
William
Emma Ward wrote:

How did they steal it - with a tow truck? In the UK cars of that age have an immobiliser that it's near impossible to defeat.
--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

London SW Keys in ignition perhaps?

Oh dear. But likely joyriders, then?
--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

This is the part I almost didn't want to talk about.
When I was shopping at the store, I have lost my key while I was pulling out other things, like my wallet in my pocket. I didn't realize I lost them until I walked to my car in the parking lot. As soon as I noticed I did not have the keys with me, I went back inside the store, retrace my steps and areas where I may have lost it in, but had no luck.
I checked with front desk and no one has seen it or turned them in. As soon as I walked back out in the parking lot, the car was gone.
William
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

    1) Me - and I imagine other owners - are now breathing a bit easier knowing the cars aren't quite that easy to steal.     2) This means your car was likely a theft of opportunity, and it will likely be abandoned as soon as it inconveniences the thieves in some way - like needs gas. It might be sitting somewhere already, waiting for someone to consider it abandoned     epbrown -- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
This brings up the question of fitting a tracker device.
I asked by insurance (UK) what discount they would give me if I fitted a tracker to my fairly valuable car. It certainly did not cover the cost of acquisition and fitting. I can't remember if the annual subscription was covered, but the overall impression was that such thefts were not significant in the global insurance costs.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the tracker doesn't always work, e.g. if the car is taken away in a lorry and/or is stored in a covered building?
DAS
"E Brown" < snipped-for-privacy@att.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

That wasn't my first thought. Chop shop in Tijuana.
weng94 wrote:

I have a hypothesis: You may have been distracted or whatever, but you left the keys in the car and went into the store. When you came out of the store and couldn't find the keys in your pocket that was because they were never in your pocket.
But don't let the insurance company hear about my hypothesis... ;-)
--
-Fred W

For sure, I had my keys with me when I went to the store. I remembered for sure. Also, I locked my car with the keyless key remote, which is why I could not get inside the car when I first went out. As soon as I went inside the store to look for the keys and had no luck, went back outside and the car was gone.
William
Fred W wrote:

weng94 wrote:

OK, I did not get that the first time through... The if you do have theft insurance they should make you whole again (minus your deductible).
--
-Fred W