Car sways

Hello All, I am newbe to cars.. i bought this second hand BMW 525i 1990 model. The problem with this car is it tends to sway to the left when i am driving
straight and so i have to be very carefull when driving... when i went to a near by garage he changed tie rods and a couple of other things in the front... and gave me a bill of 2000$ and now when it still persists he says i have to change the control arm... can anyone please suggest me what could be really wrong. Thanks a ton in advance

As Alan mentioned, tires are the most common problem. BMW's (and other high performance cars) are suspension tuned for quick reactions, and the tire is the most important facet of this tuning.
Unfortunately (for you), the second most important thing about BMWs in particular is the front control arm bushings, which your mechanic now wants to replace. The parts are relatively inexpensive, but labor may not be. The fact that he replaced steering components first (presumably he also aligned the car) means (to me) that he doesn't know much about BMWs, has miss-diagnosed the problem, and may be milking you.
$2000 is too much for tie-rod replacement and an alignment. It should be $500 or less. Control arms should be no more than $1000 or so. An alignment (at a BMW specialty shop) a few years ago cost me around $125.
IMO, you should find another mechanic.
Floyd