CD Changer that supports MP3?

Hi,

I have a 2004 M3 which currently has a standard 6 disc CD changer in the boot, I was thinking of fitting an AUX connector and using my Ipod but then thought about swapping my CD changer for one that supports MP3 playback.

Has anybody done this and if so how does it work?

I'm thinking it will just be a case of putting a few hundred MP3 tracks on a single CD and then selecting them in order, 1-100... there won't be any visual changes on the headunit, doesn't support CD text or does it?

Is the Ipod a better option, but then I'd lose the connection to my current CD changer right?

Thanks

Daz

Reply to
Daz

The Alpine CH-S 630 is an MP3 capable 6 CD Stacker which is physically compatible with the BMW Business Head unit but you need to install an interface adaptor and cable (made by various suppliers but see website below for details). The steering wheel track advance / volume controls works as well but the head unit can only display track numbers up to 99 (then reverts back to 1 or whatever) - at least on my 99 E46 323i. The actual installation takes around 30 minutes or so and is fairly straightforward. I've done it using an ICT adaptor and would recommend it. Around 80 hours of music on board.

See

for more details.

Reply to
SYSTECH

sorry - correct model No. is Alpine CHA-S634 ! Adaptor cable is Alpine KCA130B (M Bus to Ai-NET)

Reply to
SYSTECH

New BMW CD Players play MP3's. Does a great job. Although the most you are going to get is about max 120 songs. You will have to catalogue them within their own directories. Using a program like Nero to burn does a great job. At 3-4 mins per song you are looking at lots of hours per CD. Putting the player on random plays like an IPOD.

Reply to
wiseguy