CD player will not fit in my Compact

Hi everyone,
I've got a 1999 316 Compact Sport (UK spec) and I've bought a new CD/SD card audio system for it. I've got one of these adaptors for it
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/bmwrover-wiring-adaptor-p-1283.html but there is just not enough space in the dash mounting for the audio system and the adaptor, they will just not fit!
The audio system is standard sized so are there any smaller adaptors available or are there any tips as to how I can install it correctly?
Many thanks, Moose
about something:

Is there no where you can push the coupled up adapter plug down and out of the way? I remember having a fun job with my E36 saloon, I ended up removing the computer and nik-nak tray so I could get my hand up the back and pull the converter plus cables down and away from the space the stereo wanted to slide back into.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Yep, done the same on my E36 a while back, just make enough room in the back of the unit for the cables and connectors. Ranger.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will have another go this weekend.
Cheers, Moose