CDV on '01 M3 (usa)?

Is there any chance my new (to me) 2001 6-Speed M3 has the dreaded Clutch Delay Valve (CDV)? I ask because the M3's shifting qualities behave somewhat like my 5 speed '96 328is did BEFORE I had the CDV removed. I was saying to myself "why can't I shift this thing?" Shifting performance of the 328 immediately improved upon removal of the CDV. TIA!

Reply to
sgfan3

Doesn't look like it:

bfd

I didn't think so. So it's me, right?:)

Reply to
sgfan3

When was the tranny oil last changed? You may want to try Redline or Royal Purple synthetic, good stuff that in most cases, helps smooth out the shifting.

Reply to
bfd

Hmmm...just bought the car but never asked that question. What kind of service is recommended for the 6-speed? Mileage, frequency, product brand and name? That sort of thing. How 'bout the clutch? This is all new to me (M3) so I appreciate your understanding my sometimes lengthy message body. TIA!

Reply to
sgfan3

Despite BMW's insistance on "lifetime" fluids, at a minimum, you should follow the old service intervals:

- brake fluid flush every 2 years (unless tracked, then every year)

- coolant flushed every 2 years

- transmission and differential fluids changed every 30,000 miles

Reply to
bfd

Sounds like good advice to me. Thanks!

Reply to
sgfan3

Are you saying they claim to have 'lifetime' brake fluid?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave asks:

Not yet, but it is interesting that when BMW went to its *free* maintenance program, the fluid intervals for the tranny and differential changed from every 30,000 miles to "lifetime". Nothing else appeared to changed. Further, its my understanding that BMW coolant is now recommended to be changed every 3 or 4 years, instead of

  1. I wouldn't be surprised to see BMW come out with "lifetime" brake fluid in the future....
Reply to
bfd

'99 E46 - Coolant change called for every 4 years. '03 Z4 - "Lifetime" coolant. Curious about other 2003 & newer models.

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

As per pervious posts but M3 has different brake fluid changes (24K I think?). I get mine done every year. If you drive hard I'd do the safe just to be on the safe side.

Reply to
TonyK

Its interesting that BMW has *extended* the time to change its coolant from every 2 year to 4 years for the E46 and apparently "lifetime" for the Z4.. It shouldn't be a surprise that BMW has not changed the formula of its coolant, its still Valvoline Zerex G48 (at least in the US):

I wonder if BMW still uses plastic radiators in these newer cars?

Reply to
bfd

You may be on to something there. The coolant will not effect how the plastic parts age one iota. Perhaps BMW realizes that these same plastic parts will disintegrate long before the coolant does? Hence, "lifetime" of the system...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Correct, coolant will not affect plastic parts. However, the continual use of plastic radiators and expansion tanks tells me that people need to realize BMW considers 100,000 miles to be lifetime. After that, you need to get rid of it and buy a new one.

If you're the type that keeps cars beyond 100,000 miles, then you ought to following the old service intervals for fluids, i.e., flush brake fluid every year or two; flush coolant every 2 years; and change tranny and differential fluid every 30,000 miles. Further, plastic radiators and other bits should be replaced every 60,000-80,000 miles. Do these simple things and your car should *easily* last past 200,000 or more!

Reply to
bfd