Cell phone link to car question...

Hey guys,
I recently purchased a 2002 BMW 525i. I notice that it has hands-free cell phone options. I'm not sure if it's bluetooth compatible. I tried
looking in the owner's manual for infor. about it but can't find any. Will I be able to sync. my cell phone with the car or would I need a BMW cell phone?
Have you got the Bluetooth code for the car, if you have then the option is active.
As for phones, the URL shows the phones supported by BMW:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bluetooth /
I have an i-mate (for what it's worth), it's not on the list but works fine and the address book transfers to the car OK.

We had an '02 X5. The cell phone was hands-free, but it had to be a particular type and had to be plugged into or inserted in the cradle. It was not Bluetooth. BTW ... we had a lot of problems with it and it took the BMW dealer a while to figure out what was going on. Leaving the phone plugged in in the car without it running was killing the car battery in a short period of time (few days). Apparently it had the wrong wiring harness or something.
RCE
In my car (another famous German brand) the phone in cradle switches off after about 10 min if motor not running. I suppose that should have happened in your X5, too...
Obviously not relevant if not connected to car battery.
DAS
"RCE" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:XvOdnV2glMRK0RzYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...
I use my Moto 815e with my 2003 525 and it works great. I can send you bluetooth documentation if you need it. Both years use the same module.
The directory syncs every time I enter the car, so it is always up to date. The car's voice recognition isn't tied to the directory, but you can manually enter names and numbers for the voice recognition module to use to dial. The audio quality is very good, but I must keep my phone in the tray in the center console where the bluetooth antenna is or I get static.
Incoming caller id displays on the MID and the nav screen.

I would greatly appreciate the bluetooth documentation you mentioned. I remember reading somewhere that only models after 2002 were bluetooth compatible. Have you heard anything about that? I don't have i-drive though...
Pepperoni Pizza wrote:

The BT module UL 6934552 in the 525 was introduced in the 2002 model year. As I said earlier, mine is a 2003, and my Verizon-branded Motorola 815e phone works very well. The supported features vary depending upon phone model. Your carrier may have a website that details the features of their phone in different cars. I referred to http://dts.vzw.com/how_to_use/bluetooth_car_kit.html for my phone.
I will scan the booklet from BMW and attach as an email addressed to your yahoo account, unless you'd rather I sent it to a different address. Reply if you have a preferred address.
It may take me a day or two to find he booklet, but I will definitely do it for you this weekend.

Whao, that would be awesome!!!
I do greatly appreciate this, taking your time and all!!! You guys are great!