Changing AC Compressor Clutch - possible?

Hi, My next door neighbor has a 1995 325IS that the clutch makes a horrible sound when engaged. The AC blows plenty of cold air. I'm guessing the compressor is okay. He purchased a new AC Compressor with a new clutch attached. Is it possible just to remove the clutch from the new one and put it on the old one? The local shops charge anywhere from 150.00 to 200.00 USD to evacuate and recharge an AC in my area. He'd rather avoid that expense if he can.

Thanks, Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Rather than have him waste all that money on the compressor, why not have him buy just the clutch?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Bob, He already has the new compressor, etc. I need to know if I can remove the good clutch and swap it out for the bad one. If so, how do I do it.

Thanks, Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Are you sure it's not the belt slipping that's causing the noise?

Reply to
John

John, I've already change both belts for him. (AC and main Serpentine belt) Unfortunately, there was no improvement in the noise. One of our other A.A.B members has emailed me the procedures for changing just the clutch and it seems to require a special tool, etc. I'm thinking it may be easier for him to just pay a pro to do the job.

Thanks, Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

On many compressors, the clutch removal tool is simply a bolt. There would be a small bolt and washer in the end of the shaft. Removal of that exposes internal threads in the clutch body, something similar to 3/4" coarse thread. Then you get a bolt to fit and screw it in, forcing the clutch "shoe" off. I have no experience with BMW compressors specifically.

Reply to
Rex B

Wayne K.

I also have to change out the clutch on a A/C compressor, and chance you could forward me any info please.

Regards, Keith.

Reply to
pistonbroke