Changing auto-transmission fluid in a '78 530i

Hey everybody,

I have 1978 530i automatic. Lately it's been having some problems changing gears. It seems to be stuck in first or second alot of the time. I'll be driving really slow to accelerate, and it might take 5-10 seconds before it switches to the next gear. Once I get going into traffic it's fine, and it's usually good afer that.

Today it got pretty bad though. I was able to get to work, but pretty much any time I stopped completely at a red light or whatnot, I'd have the same problem acelerating again. It's to the point now where I don't think I can drive it in traffic, as I'm pretty much useless once I hit a red light.

I just checked my transimission fluid a moment ago and it appears to be bone dry. The stick comes out completely clean, with nothing on it. So I'm pretty sure I just need to add some fluid.

These questions might be stupid, but I don't know a whole lot about cars. How difficult is it to add in that fluid? Is it something that I could do (with some help of course) on a weekend? Or is it something that I would pretty much need to take it to the shop for? Also, where can this type of fluid be purchased? Should it be relatively easy to find?

Thanks for all your help!

Reply to
Mentok

I think you can check and add fluid on an auto that old - have a look in the manual. OTOH running it dry won't have done it any good, and IMHO it is quite likely you have worn or burnt out one or more bands.

If all else fails you can inject it down the dipstick tube (auto fluid bottle usually have a pipe on them). Overfill and it will be seriously sh***ed.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton