changing engine belts on E36 1998

how hard is it to change the two belts ?
mine show some cracking.

Pretty easy. I tend to remove the fan, but some say it can be done without.

They often do while being alright. It's only when you get them off you can see if the cracks are deep or just the surface rubber.
--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

I did mine without removing the fan - it's possible but skinny hands are advantageous. The hardest part is moving the hydraulic tensioner for the main belt.

Easy enough with a socket ratchet handle and the correct bit. Worst bit is remembering how the damn thing weaves it way round the various pulleys.
--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

... and that's not very hard because there is a map posted nearby. Well, my car has a map, and my daughter's car does too.

Right. Don't think mine has. Whereabouts?
--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

I lied! Sorry. I went to double check the location of the sticker that shows how the belt goes, and there isn't one. My Ford and my Mazda show this information, but my BMW does not.

Ah. BMW mechanics are obviously more intelligent than Ford ones? The path is shown in the TIS, though.
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

On Wed, 30 May 2007 09:38:29 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Whenever I pull anything apart, I have my digital camera at hand and snap away like some kind of crazed David Bailey. Yes it does have dirty finger prints all over it!
Tis wonderful when you're trying to work out how the wiring is supposed to go after you've done something serious.
Of course there is a law that says whatever you really need to see will be just slightly out of shot below the thingermewhatsit.
:o)
D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Also useful when cleaning the keyboard.... removing the connectors at the rear of the computer to put it somewhere else ---- Remembering what the wife/Girlfriend looks like...........

Has it occurred to *no one* to ask what car this is on?
Gawd, I go away for a week and you all turn stupid ...
Plowman, Strickland, you both know better. I'm ashamed of you. -- C.R. Krieger Cheif Smartass

E36 1998 narrows the choice somewhat.
--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

E28 Guy wrote:

Krieger. Learn to read the subject line. Gawd!!
--
-Fred W

Could be a threading issue which I never use. Too many do a 'reply to' and then change the subject which screws things up. But then I'm an old fart.
--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Has it occurred to *no one* to ask what car this is on?
Gawd, I go away for a week and you all turn stupid ...
Plowman, Strickland, you both know better. I'm ashamed of you.
--

The only thing I don't know, and it really doesn't matter, is which motor
we're talking about. Having said that, I assumed the M52 because I see no