Check engien light

Ok I got the check engine light again (98 328i E36)--Time to close loop temperature too long?I have had two completely different answers on saying the o2 sensor?. And the other is the T-stat. So my question is, the senor you have talked about is that a Coolant Temperature Sensor for Fuel Injection and Temperature Gauge part #13 62 1 703 993? Also if it is the T-stat should I get a new housing as well? I can get al three parts for about $79, or is that just a waste of money and not the real problem? I am not really worried about the check engine light coming on because I have a code reader/reset tool, and I check every time it comes on. It only comes on when the temp gets below freezing. which only happens about five or six time in AZ. Should I just keep resetting it and ignore it?

Reply to
Jesse via CarKB.com

No. This error has nothing to do with the cooling system. The "closed loop" is refering to the Engine Computer's control of the Fuel Injection. The O2 sensor is the one that screws into the exhaust stream and measures the Oxygen content of the exhaust gas. These sensors only work once they get heated up pretty high. It is alternately known as a "Lambda" sensor.

No, you should check to see why the heater circuit is not working correctly on your oxygen sensor.

Reply to
Malt_Hound