Check engine light 1995 525i

--B_3223440223_31236 Content-type: text/plain;     charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
Hello everyone. I know this could be several things, however just wanted to post to the group to see what they would do, or better yet what I should did.
I have a 1995 525i with 102,000 miles. On my way to work, my check engine light came on. About two minutes later, it went our and stayed out. Not Im looking down every 20 sec to see if it came back on. Any ideas?
Also a problem I have had for about a year now, is the temp gage. Its not on the bottom of the meter, but at the top of the blue box on the bottom of the meter. Driving around town it really doesnt move up. However when I Im on the interstate, it moves to normal 12 oclock. Even on cold days, the needle is on the blue box, but the heater is blowing very hot air. Do I just need to replace the temp gauge located on the side of the radiator? Or is my engine cooking?
Anyway, thanks for any input you might have.
Have a great day!
Cheers, David
--B_3223440223_31236 Content-type: text/html;     charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding
<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Check engine light 1995 525i</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT FACE="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:12.0px'>Hello everyone. &nbsp;I know this could be several things, however just wanted to post to the group to see what they would do, or better yet what I should did.<BR> <BR> I have a 1995 525i with 102,000 miles. &nbsp;On my way to work, my check engine light came on. &nbsp;About two minutes later, it went our and stayed out. &nbsp;Not I&#8217;m looking down every 20 sec to see if it came back on. &nbsp;Any ideas?<BR> <BR> <BR> Also a problem I have had for about a year now, is the temp gage. It&#8217;s not on the bottom of the meter, but at the top of the blue box on the bottom of the meter. &nbsp;Driving around town it really doesn&#8217;t move up. &nbsp;However when I I&#8217;m on the interstate, it moves to normal 12 o&#8217;clock. &nbsp;Even on cold days, the needle is on the blue box, but the heater is blowing very hot air. &nbsp;Do I just need to replace the temp gauge located on the side of the radiator? Or is my engine cooking?<BR> <BR> Anyway, thanks for any input you might have.<BR> <BR> Have a great day! <BR> <BR> Cheers, David</SPAN></FONT> </BODY> </HTML>
--B_3223440223_31236--
David Brodosi wrote:

These two things may actually not be related. You should extract the codes from the ECU, but I'll bet you will find that you are getting a lambda error from the O2 sensor. It's pretty common to see them go at about 100k miles +/- and when they do first start to go they are sometimes "out of range" just when first "coming online" which is after about 3 minutes running time from a cold start.
You have an OBD1 car by the way, so you can do the "stomp test" to extract the codes.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/Mult-Code_Reading/Mult-Code_Reading.htm
I can't figure out what you are trying to say about the coolant temperature but the most likely thing is a bad thermostat. They are cheap and made to be replaced on a regular basis. If you have not replaced it in the course of troubleshooting this problem yet, do so.
--
-Fred W