*Check Engine Light*-Help

I have a 328I and occasionally the check engine light will come on. I believe it is a fauly sensor since the light normally goes out after a month or so however my card needs to be inspected this month. In NY your car will
not pass inspection if the check engine light is on. Is there anyway I will be able to get the light turned off any earlier then the cars normal cycle?
Check engine light comes on because the computer sees something wrong with one of the sensors. That's the only time it should come on...not intermittently.
--
Ed Smith
"Jslick" < snipped-for-privacy@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

What year is your car? E36 or E46? The light can be turned off with a scan tool, but often times a code will be stored for a drive cycle before it turns on the light. If the inspection station reads codes and finds one stored you may fail anyway. Also, if the code is emissions related and they analyze the exhaust gases, they will fail you that way, even if the light is not on. It would be in your best interest anyway to find out what the code is since your car is trying to tell you something is wrong. You're probably going to need to get it fixed to pass so you might as well find out now.
Kyle. 98 740iL 97 M3
Yank the bulb out to pass the inspection.
Steve

That won't work in states that query the ECM (most that test for emissions).
Tbird-Steve wrote:

And in particular, it won't work in New York.
JRE
JimV wrote:

<snip>
Check you fuel filler cover (gasoline cap in US speak?) make sure the seal on it is ok and you've close it tightly.
If the gas cap leaks, it fools the computer into thinking the gas tank (fuel tank in UK speak?) is leaking. Tricker the Check Engine light.

You didn't say what year the car is. If 1996 or newer, it is OBD II, and you can buy, or use free, the Code Reader to find out why the Check light is coming on.

Its a 97.
Its a 1997.