Check Engine Warning light appeared after filling engine oil!

Hello all,

I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck Engine' light has appeared on my dash!

Have i done something wrong!?

my hand book says

"Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service check up"

Im surprised s i had have had a =A3850 oil service just 6 months ago, and =A3250 later on for something else?

Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done

48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!

:(

Can you help?

Thanks

Reply to
hspadwal

I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck Engine' light has appeared on my dash!

Have i done something wrong!?

my hand book says

"Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service check up"

Im surprised s i had have had a £850 oil service just 6 months ago, and £250 later on for something else?

Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done

48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!

:(

Can you help?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

A plain oil service costs nothing like 850 GBP, so what extra was done?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck Engine' light has appeared on my dash!

Have i done something wrong!?

my hand book says

"Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service check up"

Im surprised s i had have had a £850 oil service just 6 months ago, and £250 later on for something else?

Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done

48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!

:(

Can you help?

Thanks

I suspect you left the ignition on while you drained and refilled, so the ESU noticed that the oil level fell below minimum and has put the check engine light on.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I read the OP's post as topping up rather than changing. Perhaps I was wrong?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

hey guys,

thanks for all the info, i found the problem in th end, it was bloody stupid.....

.=2E...i left the engine oil cap off!?!?!?

Iknow, how can you, im surprised. Since i have put it back on my cars perfomace is back to nomal and no longer makes worring noises. ... mind you i only had the cap off for 1 day and did not drive the car for more then a mile.

yes, i know idiot.

ope someone learns from this.....PUT THE CAP BACK ON!

Cheers

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Reply to
hspadwal

Oh.... The light is still showing though! do i have to rest it? do i go to BMW or can i do it my self? iknow 99% that was the problem.

Can i eset it?

Reply to
hspadwal

Reply to
hspadwal

If it's like the loose gas cap fault, it will probably go off in a few days.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.