Check Engine Warning light appeared after filling engine oil!

Hello all,
I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck Engine' light has appeared on my dash!
Have i done something wrong!?
my hand book says
"Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service check up"
Im surprised s i had have had a £850 oil service just 6 months ago, and £250 later on for something else?
Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done 48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!
:(
Can you help?
Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–
Get the code read to determine where the problem is. Changing the oil is highly unlikely to cause an emissions problem. Surely they did more that just change the oil for 850 pounds. Changing the oil here in the US costs about $75 if you use the most expensive oil around. Jim
Hello all,
I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck Engine' light has appeared on my dash!
Have i done something wrong!?
my hand book says
"Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service check up"
Im surprised s i had have had a £850 oil service just 6 months ago, and £250 later on for something else?
Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done 48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!
:(
Can you help?
Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

A plain oil service costs nothing like 850 GBP, so what extra was done?
--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

βœ–
Hello all,
I filled my E46 325ci engine with Castrol GTX 0w-40 and the 'Cehck Engine' light has appeared on my dash!
Have i done something wrong!?
my hand book says
"Exhast emissions have deterioated. please arrange for a bmw service check up"
Im surprised s i had have had a £850 oil service just 6 months ago, and £250 later on for something else?
Is this serious, as maintence is starting to annoy me, it has only done 48000 miles and i only really drive it on weekends!
:(
Can you help?
Thanks
I suspect you left the ignition on while you drained and refilled, so the ESU noticed that the oil level fell below minimum and has put the check engine light on.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I read the OP's post as topping up rather than changing. Perhaps I was wrong?
--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

βœ–
hey guys,
thanks for all the info, i found the problem in th end, it was bloody stupid.....
.....i left the engine oil cap off!?!?!?
Iknow, how can you, im surprised. Since i have put it back on my cars perfomace is back to nomal and no longer makes worring noises. ... mind you i only had the cap off for 1 day and did not drive the car for more then a mile.
yes, i know idiot.
ope someone learns from this.....PUT THE CAP BACK ON!
Cheers
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Oh.... The light is still showing though! do i have to rest it? do i go to BMW or can i do it my self? iknow 99% that was the problem.
Can i eset it?
Add pictures here
βœ–
made some mistakes in the last email read below
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

If it's like the loose gas cap fault, it will probably go off in a few days.
Tom K.
Add pictures here
βœ–