Child seats for 8-series

Page 1 of 2
Are there any available?
If so, please could you let me know the manufacturer's name and model (if known).
Thanks!
Griff

Child seats for a specific car?
I have never heard of that. When I was buying child seats for my kids, we went to the store and picked a seat out and strapped it in with the car's seat belts. If it stayed put, we kept it, if it moved around, we took it back until we found one that stayed put. We had a few different car while we had kids in car seats, and as a general rule if the seat fit in one car, it fit in all of them. We also had a need to use the neighbors' seats in our car, and our seats in the neighbors' car, and we found that not all seats were as good as the others.
My favorite seat was the FisherPrice model with a large breast plate and a single latching point. It was the easiest to buckle and unbuckle, and it was a breeze to clean. One thing I (we) found was that it was not convenient to swap the seats around from car to car all of the time, so we got two seats, one for my car and one for her's.

I've also a 530D; when we bought a car seat for that car, the reseller actually wouldn't sell us a model unless they verified that it fitted "perfectly". We actually tried several models until we found one that fitted - they did a great job in that the seat we bought fits so secure that I literally have to tug it with all my might to get it to move.
I ask specifically about the 8-series because it's got "bucket" seats at the back and our car seats won't fit properly; they literally bridge the bucket seat. That particular reseller doesn't have any seats to fit and isn't aware of any (they're more used to the MPV-type of vehicle).
Griff

I get it. I wasn't thinking clearly earlier. Your seats are an odd shape and you are asking if anybody has found a child seat that fits the odd shape seats in the car. Sorry for my smart-ass reply earlier. I understand the problem now, and I have no pearls of wisdom to help you.
Jeff states:
<Child seats for a specific car?
I have never heard of that.>
Well, if money is no object, BMW sells child seats specific to your car. Go to the online parts catalog (ETK) and look under Section 82, Universal Accessories. Specifcally, look at section 82, 31, Child Seats, BMW makes one for your car in sizes Baby, Junior I/II and Junior III. For online catalog, go here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw /

More than a child seat intended for a car, I imagine he's trying to find one that somebody has made work. The deep rear bucket seats of an E31 would be an immense challenge for a car seat. I gave up on owning an E24 for the same reason.
-Russ.

we
one
be
I wasn't thinking of the deep buckets. They would present a significant obsticle. I would be inclined to shim the buckets up with a blanket or similar item to create a quasiflat surface to set the child seat on.
Is that a good idea? Wouldn't it reduce the grip and stability of the child seat?
DAS
I don't know. Maybe it would, and then it would be a bad idea. But, maybe one could fill in the low spot so the child safety seat set flat on the car's seat, and the seat belt would then hold the child safety seat safely. In this case, it would be a good idea. This is one of those times when one has to outsmart the engineers to come up with a solution that is both safe and effective.
The problem is, we can only to the most rudamentry of tests to check for stability of the child safety seat that is placed on an uneven surface which has been modified to create an even surface. The real test comes when a dump truck runs the red light and slams into the test bed ... But, even if the car and the safety seat fit well together, we don't really know if the safety seat will protect its cargo until the dump truck runs the red light, do we?

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

The car seat should be restrained primarily by the regular seat belt.
-Fred W
Jeff Strickland wrote:

That's not a bad idea, not to mention the protection of the E31's rear leather from the bottom of the seat and all of the detritus the youngster is likely to drop.
Maybe he could get some stiff foam and cut/shape it to fit the depressed seat area, then cover the top part with something stiffer (plywood or hard plastic) for the carseat to sit upon.
-Fred W

That's probably a suitable last resort, but not much fun if the seat is occasionally used for other things.
-Russ.

kids,
find
would
the
significant
When I was hauling child seats across the landscape, I found that there were few useful things that justified taking the seat out. I hated messing around with the car seat so much, I went to the Used Baby Supply and bought another seat just so I wouldn't have to take it out.
You used a used baby seat?
Maaan...
DAS
"Jeff Strickland" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net...
Dear all
I just heard back from my local BMW garage's Parts department...
They sell a "BMW Junior seat" costing a 179.06 inc VAT which they claim will definitely fit into the back seats of the E31. They don't do a "baby seat", but that's not what I'm after.
Thanks for everyone's input!
Griff
Baby is a bit of a misnomer when talking about the Used Baby Store. They sell second hand stuff intended for kids. The idea being that very small kids grow out of stuff faster than they wear it out, and a child safety seat can be found for a fraction of the original cost. Not really a "baby seat" at all. However, they have child safety seats that will fit a baby, but I understood that you were looking to strap in a kid that is not considered a baby anymore.
Dear all
I just heard back from my local BMW garage's Parts department...
They sell a "BMW Junior seat" costing a 179.06 inc VAT which they claim will definitely fit into the back seats of the E31. They don't do a "baby seat", but that's not what I'm after.
Thanks for everyone's input!
Griff
Doesn't matter. You don't know where it's been. Never buy a second-hand child seat.
DAS
"Jeff Strickland" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Why? What are you afraid of? Do you think some prior child user had the ebola fever or something? I suppose you never let your children sit in used seats in public either, right? You never know what scurvey bum sat in that seat before... How ludicous.
Children are just young humans. They are amazingly resilient and can take all sorts of microbial abuse.
-Fred W
Let me clarify for you. I am talking about accidents. Or drops.
Damage to seat, in other words.
You cannot have confidence in the integrity of a seat unless you know its history, and you only know that if you buy it new.
DAS

second-hand
If it has been in an accident, the belts should be replaced as they have been stretched. The seat also may not conform to current laws and standards. In Canada, if you sell a 1 year old car seat "as is" at a yard sale for a buck, and the standards changed last year such that it's no longer legal, you can be held liable for injuries to the child.
Child safety equipment is a special category of merchandise.
-Russ.