Child seats for 8-series

Page 2 of 2
Somebody wrote:

If that is true it is just absurd. There is no way that the weight of an infant is going to "stress" the nylon web straps and belts to the fatigue point. I can see legally requiring the use of approved safety seats (protecting innocent children from stupid parents), but constantly changing specifications or requiring replacement after an accident is completely over the top.
Do they also make you replace your adult seatbelts after you get in an accident? I'm thinking a 250 pound adult might stress those seatbelts just a tad more than a 10 pound baby...
Also, I'm pretty sure that you are wrong about the liability issue. There is no way that anyone could be held liable for selling a non-conforming car-seat in a private sale. As a private individual I do not have to represent anything about the suitability of that car-seat for use. This definitely falls into the realm of caveat emptor. If not, then I thank God I don't live in Canada.
-Fred W
I don't know whether you are just theorising or what, but your view that it is "absurd" is absurd.
The factor of changing regs is, in fact, another factor that I did not mention in my other reply to you.
A child seat can be subjected to all kinds of stresses and strains, e.g. being dropped, as I said, which may compromise its integrity but not be visible.
All the advice given -- and not just by seat makers -- is that one should never trust a second-hand seat. I would not take one even if it were given to me by a trusted relative who assured me that the seat had never been damaged. My child is too precious to muck about whether to save a few bucks.
If there is an accident and the seat fails to work as it should, I would always worry that it was not a manufacturing fault but because of subsequent damage.
To discuss the potential liability of a private vendor sounds like an American lawyer's priority :-)
I did not contend that one should necessarily replace a seat after an accident. I said one only knows where it has been if one has bought it new. You then went off at a tangent about diseases.
What I am interested in is my child's safety.
DAS
"Malt_Hound" <Malt_Hound@*spam*yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

an
fatigue
There
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hecs-sesc/cps/publications/garage_sales.htm
Lucky for you, apparently in your country you can sell defective baby seats and hazardous materials at yard sales, and if they buy 'em and die, well, that's just their tough luck.
-Russ.
Somebody wrote:

That's correct. I wouldn't have it any other way.
-Fred W
I suspect she is telling us that the seat may have been in a prior wreck and doesn't work properly anymore.

second-hand
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Yes, that was the deal, and I did not pick up on it in the original post.
But I'm pretty sure that Dori is a he. Then again, I could be wrong about that too. Seems I'm wrong about everything here these days...
-Fred W

and
I thought Dori was a she. If I am mistaken, I hope there is no offense taken.

Ok, I'll put you guys out of your 'misery'... :-)
No offence taken, as I am used to it, but Dori is a he.
Just curious, why do you think it's a she? What clue other than the name?
Sometimes I used to feel like the boy named Sue but, 'unfortunately', I never developed the ability to fight...
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

It's precisely due to your message content that I assumed that you were a man. I think people would bmake that assumption perhaps since Dori is an unusual name (in the US at least) and people might think it was short for something else, like Doris?
-Fred W (yep, I'm a guy too...) ;-)
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:30:07 -0400, Malt_Hound

Yep, but you're not a top-posting <expletive deleted> like Doris is.
I've used this particular group as an experiment, and a few weeks ago I killfiled all habitual top-posters regardless of who they are and what they say. Let me tell you, I'm pleased with the result. I should have done it years ago, and I will be applying my new policy to other groups.
Selective killfiling of individuals based on the individual asshole factor is a personal thing - and a very good thing. Given that what one wants to read is a *personal* preference then I'd highly recommend that others consider actually doing this across the board.
And, in the spirit of what I'm saying, feel free to killfile me, too.
--
Dan.

I seem to have a memory of a conversation with you a long time ago where I picked up that you were a she. At my age though, confusion comes easy and often.
BMW Junior seat comes in several colors and can be found here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EG23&mospidG335&btnr _1180&hg&fg1

That's what they have in the back - small children only mind...
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

True, the rear seats in the 6's and 8's do look like good seats for children once they are old enough to be able to sit in a regular seat. But most responsible parents will put their infants and young toddlers in an approved safety child seat. I can see how fitting one of those in these cars could be an adventure.
-Fred W

No matter what shape the factory gives the seats, unless they have a harness that comes down both sides of the neck and a pad in front of them for them to cusion them in a frontal impact, they aren't suitable child seats.
-Russ.