Chnageing a BMW SMG back to manual

Does anyone knopw if you can chnage a bmw m3 (e36) from a smg to manual.
Ive thought you would need a new console piece under the computer, possible new clocks. etc.
But the real question is can you just remove the smg stuff from the gearbox, add a slve cylinder, repipe the hydrolics, and add a gear lever assembly with a ox, and away clucth pedel box and away you go.

I suppose anything is possible but if you don't want SMG why not just sell it and buy a traditional manual. I'm sure it would be a hell of a lot cheaper!

I agree.
Sell the car and buy another one that has the transmission you want. It has got to be cheaper to trade out out of the car you have and buy a new one than to make a major alteration as you are looking at.
johnboy1973 wrote:

Just putting in a manual clutch would be a good start.
johnboy1973 wrote:

The real question is... where did you find an E36 with SMG?
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

Yurop.. you gotta get out more Fred..
admin wrote:

Really? I thought the SMG was introduced on the E46 platform.
--
-Fred W

E36 M3 had SMG I on some models but it wasn't very good (to say the least!). SMG II was introduced on the E46 and SMG III now on the E60 M5. Rumour has it SMG III will be more "DCT" on the E90 M3.

I'd be gob smacked if you could. I'll bet the gearbox is totally different to the manual one and the clutch too.
--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

johnboy1973 wrote:

Certainly doable.. people swap out automatics on the E36/M3 all the time in the US.
The basic transmissions are identical AFAIK - the difference is the electronics/hydraulics/computer that was added to the transmission and clutch to make it SMG.
I'm sure this has been done - and some Googling will probably turn up a website describing the entire project.. but as others have noted - it might be worth considering selling the SMG car and finding a stick shift version... at least from a cost/benefit view. If your SMG M3 is in exceptional condition - you might be motivated into keeping it. If you have to pay someone to do this work - it likely is going to be rather expensive - and what is "a ox"?
admin wrote:

Might it be a very light version of "a gearbox"?
OTOH, I certainly wouldn't want a cl*cth ped*l - that's just plain rude :-)
Andrew