Civic Si vs BMW 3-series

My previous car was a 1993 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1.6 L V-tek (variable valve timing) engine with 125 hp.
I am thinking about buying a bmw 3-series, E30, E36 or E46 because I
want a vehicle that has better driving performance the my Civic Si. But I have never driven a 3-series vehicle so I really don't know if the performance will actually be better.
Does anyone know how the performance of a BMO 3-series compares to a Civic Si?
-Jonathan

Why don't you go out and test drive one? We could be talking here all day, and still none of it will give you as good of an answer as a test drive.
Performance also depends on which engine you go with. There were quite a few engine configurations among the E30, E36, E46 platforms.
Pete

Good points. The bottom line - DRIVE ONE! IF you don't feel or notice a difference, then get the Honda. It wil be cheaper to run, probably get better mileage and you be more comfortable.

Try the new Civic SI -- 197 hp. It will be half the price of the BMW and cheaper to maintain.

For the 1st 4 years/50,000 miles the Civic will be much, much more expensive to maintain.
Tom K.

For the 1st 4 years/50,000 miles the Civic will be much, much more expensive to maintain.
Tom K. -----
Here's an idea: drive them back to back, on the same road/route. You'll notice a difference, then it'll boil down to cost.

This someone who owned a 93 Civic for probably far more than 4 years. BMWs are low maintenance if you turn em over every 4 or so years or around 50k. If he is thinking about a used BMW, a new Civic becomes more appealing. Frankly, the Civic SI is a bargain for the performance and fun you can have.