Cleaning the engine compartment

Took my car to the local auto "detailer" (i.e., offers thorough cleaning inside and out) and asked to have the engine compartment included. Told, "sorry, With all the delicate electronics we can't take the chance."

A clean engine looks so much better I would like to keep my 318ti looking sharp. Any suggetions on a safe and not-too-time-consuming way to make the engine compartment look nice? Also, I can't have grease and sludge running down my driveway to the street!

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers!

Fritz Wagner Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
Fritz Wagner

I am in the UK.

We have a valeting company next door to our office and they regularly jet wash engine compartments as part of their service.

Mind you we don't know where the muck and sludge goes as there is no special catchment area.

Reply to
Time Teamer

IMHO they are rare. Most are worried about being sued if the car subsequently gives problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some forum and website I read suggest do engine compartment detail in broad day-light when the sun is on full power. Drive the car a while (10 min or so) then Open the bonnet and let the sun and engine warm up the compartment to help quick evaporation. Protect the electronics with pastic bags (or tin foil, but beware of short circuits) The spray cleaner (follow instruction on the cleaner itself) on then rinse with water hose.

If where you are allows, park the car on grass to do that. All the sludge goes to mother nature.

Sounds eminently practical. I will do it!

Much thanks.

Fritz Wagner

Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
Fritz Wagner

I found this on the web.

Subject: [uuc] Re: awesome engine bay appearance

Ok, not everyone will agree with this, but I have been doing it for 15+ years without any negative side effects, except for the current Z3 coupe only because I have gotten lazy with age :-), but it's day is coming soon....but before you jump to conclusions hear the whole thing out:

Clean excess grease and dirt from engine bay using automotive degreaser, and a soft scrub brush where needed; the cleaner, the better. Do not bother to wash rest of car yet. Rinse off engine bay cleaner and crank up engine to dry. Buy the big economy size jug of Armor-All and a spray bottle. After engine bay is thoroughly dry, spray down entire engine bay excessively with Armor-All. The reason we didn't finish washing the car before is because if there is any breeze the Armor-All will get on the fender paint and windshield; not to fret, we will clean it all off later. You may want to put something under the car first if dripping Armor-All onto the ground is an issue. Once everything is dripping in Armor-All, allow to sit overnight to soak in; it is OK to drive car during this process, IMO the heat helps, but externally it will look messy. Next day, take a garden hose with spray nozzle and blast-rinse engine bay to remove any excess Armor-All. Fill wash bucket with preferred car soap and wash car. Empty wash bucket, then repeat wash cycle. My experience is this will remove any excessive Armor-All from areas outside engine bay. Dry car to prevent water spots in usual manner. Then take old rags and dry/wipe engine bay down as well as possible, then take for a drive to heat everything up good for final drying.

End result is the most awesome F*ing engine bay appearance you will ever see. Repeat every 4 - 6 months as required. The blast-rinse removes excessive Armorall enough to prevent dirt/dust build-up , but it's an engine bay so eventually it will get dirty if you drive daily on the street. Also, I realize there will be concern about getting Armor-All on drive belt and pulley surfaces, but again I have never seen an issue from it using the procedure as described, nor have I ever experienced any engine bay paint issues. The only negative, and a minor one, is for a couple of days the Armor-All on the hot engine/exhaust will have a unique, but not disturbing, odor, but will soon disappear.

There will be nay-sayers (OK Brett, let me have it :-), afterall this *is* the Internet, but it's easier to discount something rather than try it first... so try it and be amazed.

M Sipe

Reply to
Richard Sperry

I am deeply impressed. But I am not sure that I have the nerve to do it!

Fritz Wagner

Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
Fritz Wagner

I never think twice about cleaning the engine. It is at least a yearly routine, if not more for the car I own. Because I service the vehicle myself that makes it all the more compelling. This 95 525i I got recently, the first thing I did after driving it home was to clean the engine by spraying it with water from the garden hose after solvent wash. My other three SAAB 9000's are subject to the same yearly or semi-yearly routine.

I did have a mishap, however. A few years ago I destroyed my SAAB 89

900S after washing the car. It was a stupid mistake of me.

The incident is not going to stop me from washing the engine compartment clean. No hesitation at all.

Reply to
yaofengchen

FWIW, the only damage I have ever seen from a wash under the hood was with an Izuzu Trooper. There was a small access hoe on top of the computer module. My neighbour figures he got water in there and shorted the unit out. A new computer module the next day and all was well.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

In general, what's wrong with a good old-fashioned steam clean?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling