clogged fuel filter causes engine to overheat?

My wife worked for 6 months as a car detailer in a BMW Autohaus. She says while she was there, there had two cars in the workshop that overheated because the fuel filter was dirty.
I never heard this before. I reckon the mechanics were pulling her leg (because she is umm the dumb blonde). I don't see how too little fuel would cook an engine. Or is this a trait of the Bavarian engines?
Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

Make it run too lean, even with injectors?
Sylvia.
Sylvia Else wrote:

That seems to be the only possibility and thats what they probably meant? And you can most certainly run too lean with injectors...

You can, but to the point where it cooks the engine is highly debatable. The engine would most likely fail to run long before it got anywhere near that stage.
-- Regards, Noddy.

If the clogged fuel filter caused a drop in fuel pressure and leaning out it is possible since running lean increases combustion temperatures.
beamers have a lovely habit of falling to pieces the day after the factory warranty runs out, hence why you can buy a near new 7 series that cost over 200k new for the same price as an Australian car. And you'd be nuts to do so too, unless you were a competent mechanic.