Cloth upholstery for E-36

My leather upholstery on my 94 325i is in pretty bad shape, and I want to replace it with cloth so my cat won't punch holes in the leather with her ferocious claws. I've found a few places selling replacement leather kits, but can't find cloth. I thought the 318i came with cloth, so I was hoping to find cloth in the same BMW color as my leather (sand). Anyone know of a source? If not, does anyone know of cloth for some other make that looks good with the sand interior?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David

I love cats, but have you considered declawing? I'm amazed that the cat even rides loose in the car, mine have always been scared out of their wits when in a moving car, so I always used a pet carrier.

The cat may be just as rough with cloth, which will look pretty bad with hundreds of pulled threads sticking out, but of course the cloth would likely be less expensive to replace. If you find a material the cat does not like to claw, perhaps you could get seat covers made of something similar?

Reply to
WayneC

That is truly awful thing to do to the poor animal. I'm aware that in the US it's common but if anyone in the UK did that they'd be hauled up in court for animal abuse.

To think that anybody could remove a cats claws just to save their upholstery is disgusting in my opinion.

cat

So is mine! Howls all the way to the vets in his cat box.

Reply to
John Burns

I have two. One just curls up and sleeps, the other starts to drool and eventually he throws up. He get motionsickness, but only if he is in a pet carrier. If he is loose he is fine, but all over the place in excitement. So keeping him outside the pet carrier is not an option.

Reply to
BBO

I agree, despite what I said, I'd NEVER do it, I'd use a pet carrier and I'd avoid taking the cat for car rides, except to the vet (or to the kennel if I'm away for holiday).

But, lots of people here in the US declaw their cats. In fact, MANY veterinarians urge doing it, because they consider it cruel to let your cat outside to face a world full of dogs, automobiles, fleas, poisons, and predators (especially on the west coast, which has a lot of coyotes that prey on cats, even in populated areas). Of course, the vets' opinion might be tainted a bit by the fact that they make money doing the declawing! Although I suppose they'd argue that the cat avoids more expensive services, like surgery.

I think/hope that attitude is slowly starting to change... a life cooped up in a house or a room is not a life worth living, as far as I'm concerned... at least not for the first 70 years :>)

Reply to
WayneC

Have you tried an upholstery shop?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I hadn't expected so many coments about the cat riding in the car, but mine just loves to ride, so I wouldn't want to put her in a carrier. She rides often, because I take her to see my Mom in the nursing home, and all the residents seem to get a kick out of seeing her. She's an indoor cat, but I just never liked the idea of de-clawing her, even after she ruined my seats! (I know, she runs my life). I did try an upholstery shop today, and they said they could replace my leather using any cloth I wanted from a zillion samples. None were BMW cloth or cloth that matched theinterior exactly, but there were some that looked OK, I thought, and I might just go ahead with some Ford Taurus cloth. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Reply to
David

Aw, that's nice :-)

Good. I'm relieved. After you've owned a cat for a while you can see why the egyptians worshiped them! :-)

Reply to
John Burns

Who cares if the fabric is BMW or not, the cat is going to claw it again anyway.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Question: wouldn't getting >pleather< not be the best solution anyway?

Seems like the cat would have to try a lot harder to do serious damage to that.

Reply to
Class-1

If the cat made one last one-way trip, the problem would be solved too. And, it's the cheapest option ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland