clutch question

i'm looking at an '87 bmw 325i convertible with a 5 spd transmission and have only driven newer stick shift cars. On this car the clutch didn't engage til maybe half an inch before the pedal was all the way out. what
does this mean if anything? worn clutch, stretched cable? thanks for any responses, Robbie
Robbie Wilson wrote:

No cable used - it's hydraulic and may need bleeding.. can we assume you mean it doesn't disengage or re-engage with the pedal 1/2" from the floor? Could be air in the hydraulics, or could be a worn clutch. If it's the clutch figure $1,000 to have it done, about $300 in parts to DIY.
The car is still driveable haven't gotten a chance to drive it myself but everything works. does that mean just a worn clutch?

It could.
The odds are good that the clutch is worn, that's why it does not catch until the last 1/2 inch of travel. It could be out of adjustment, but I'll stick with the clutch as my first choice.

Clutch is operated by a hydralic system with no adjustment. This is most definitely a worn clutch.

My instinct is a worn clutch.