Clutch Replacement

I received conflicting opinions about replacing the clutch in my 1997 328i (88 K miles).
1. From an independent BMW shop: "Don't let it go too far or you'll
have to replace the flywheel too."
Estimate: $800 - $900
2. From a BMW dealer's service writer: "You always have to replace the flywheel."
Estimate: $2158
Have you replaced a BMW clutch without replacing the flywheel?
Thanks... -george

I did on my 1990 E34 535i, 5 spd, 115K miles. I went to an indy who said the dual mass clutch could be replaced once without replacing the flywheel. I believe he just sanded down the flywheel and replaced the clutch kit, all for almost $1k.
Would I do it again? Probably not. I can feel the flywheel sometimes when I shift gears in high speed. In hindsight, I should have replaced the dual mass flywheel with a single mass one from an E28/24 and used the E28 clutch kit. THAT, was the correct replacement. Oh well, if I get to 150K, then it was worth it.
I presume you can get a single mass flywheel from an earlier model like an E30 or E21. That is something you'll need to research. Good Luck!

Both options sound a bit on the pricey side. I did mine at about 160k miles and I after I was thinking maybe I should have done the flywheel too. ...but if you've got no symptoms now and money is a bit tight then I wouldn't worry about it until it was inspected.
I had this work done on my 1998 328i at 74,470 miles in May 2007:
Replace Clutch and resurface flywheel: Labor $780, Parts $350 = $1130 My independent BMW shop sent the flywheel out to a machine shop.
I'm in Alexandria, VA outside D.C.
Tom

There is no reason to replace the flywheel unless it is defective. Therefore when the gearbox is removed to replace the clutch, they should inspect the flywheel and determine if it is OK. Be careful though, because mechanics like replacing dual mass flywheels because there is torsional movement in them, even though they are actually designed to be like this!
Have I replaced a clutch without replacing the flywheel, yes, lots.