Clutch Shudder 02 325i

Hi All, I bought a 2002 325i about a month and a half ago and I love it. But early last week I started noticing something weird. I was going down a off ramp and I put the car into 4th to downshift and when I started letting the clutch out it seemed that when the actual clutch started engaging the car shuddered for a moment until the clutch became fully engaged. I thought it was weird so I tried it again in 3rd and it did the same thing. I noticed the probalem all the way home. Then when I got in it again about 4 hours later I wanted to see if I could pin down what it was and when I tried downshifting again I couldnt get it to do it again. I thought the problem went away. But this morning when leaving a stop sign I felt it happen while starting out in first. Has anyone experienced this cluctch shudder before? What was wrong?

Thanks a million - jon

Reply to
langjr15

There has been some problems with the 3 series with either the clutch release bearing not sliding properly and/or the factory forgetting to fit the locating dowels when fitting the gearbox.

Reply to
adder1969

There is also a "clutch delay valve" installed on most E46's which contribute to clutch shuddering. Do a web search and you will find information on either removing or mosifying this valve.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

I've never heard of the CDV causing shuddering, just that people didn't like the delayed response to their left foot inputs.

Reply to
Fred W