Clutch Shudder 02 325i

Hi All, I bought a 2002 325i about a month and a half ago and I love it. But early last week I started noticing something weird. I was going down a off ramp and I put the car into 4th to downshift and when
I started letting the clutch out it seemed that when the actual clutch started engaging the car shuddered for a moment until the clutch became fully engaged. I thought it was weird so I tried it again in 3rd and it did the same thing. I noticed the probalem all the way home. Then when I got in it again about 4 hours later I wanted to see if I could pin down what it was and when I tried downshifting again I couldnt get it to do it again. I thought the problem went away. But this morning when leaving a stop sign I felt it happen while starting out in first. Has anyone experienced this cluctch shudder before? What was wrong?
Thanks a million - jon
snipped-for-privacy@uwgb.edu wrote:

There has been some problems with the 3 series with either the clutch release bearing not sliding properly and/or the factory forgetting to fit the locating dowels when fitting the gearbox.

There is also a "clutch delay valve" installed on most E46's which contribute to clutch shuddering. Do a web search and you will find information on either removing or mosifying this valve.
Bob Smitter wrote:

I've never heard of the CDV causing shuddering, just that people didn't like the delayed response to their left foot inputs.
--
-Fred W