Cold Air intake

Any thought s about a Cold Air Intale for a 2002 Z3 2.5? manufacturers, performance, etc?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
<markheiliger

Skip it and spend your money elsewhere. It won't do a thing to improve performance and can actually cause problems due to the heated engine compartment air that you will be subjecting it to.

The stock airbox does a very good job at filtering the intake air without being very restrictive. The only time any restriction that it does present (compared to a cone filter) comes into play is at maximum engine pumping, which is with a wide open throttle at high rpm (near redline).

The stock airbox also has the advantage of being configured to draw cold air from in front of the radiator. With a "CAI" the cone filter draws air from the engine compartment, or the fancy ones have an extra "box" to surround the cone filter and hopefully block the warm engine compartment air somewhat. However that box is not well sealed.

When I see an aftermarket CAI fitted to a used car that I am considering I pass because I know the PO was a "boy racer".

Reply to
Fred W

Excellent advice! What in the world was I thinking???

Tha,ks,

Mark

Reply to
<markheiliger