Compare ''01 M3 to '99 Porsche 911

Prices are similar, although the 911 is a tad more expensive, but I'm split between the two. I've read the M3 is more edgy and unrefined, but a blast to drive... while the 911 is smoother and everything just seems to work perfectly together. What is your experience? Which has higher maintenance costs? Higher insurance costs? Any recalls, or other mechanical problems that these models are know for? Thank you in advance!

Reply to
kade714

More rear passenger space in the BMW?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

A 911 is a 2+2 car. The M3 is a straight 4 seater. Parts for both are quite expensive. Jim

Reply to
Jim

The M3 is a more practical car - I'd get one if I wanted a high performance daily driver. The 996 is the better choice if you're looking for all-out performance with some compromises. In more detail: the 2001 M3 had some engine bearing problems, iirc. BMW extended the factory warranty on them to 6 year/100,000 miles, so the car likely has had all recall fixes done and is still covered by warranty. BMWs come with longer warranties than Porsches and included maintenance, so a daily driver BMW has likely had no compromises in how it was cared for. The engine is a multi "Engine of the Year" award winner, it's handling is close to the Porsche, it's brakes nowhere near as good. It's residual value doesn't hold as well as the 911, however the 996 is one of the fastest depreciating Porsches ever - it sold well to new buyers, but isn't as popular with Porschephiles. The

993 has held it's value better, despite being older. epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

This is a joke right? Comparing an M3 to a 911? The M3 is a nice sports sedan, but a 911 is...well, a 911.

Reply to
Geo