Computer Glitch

My Z4 would not start this morning. Seemed to be sufficient electric, but the starter would not engage. It appeared to me like the computer was not responding properly. My drive is on an incline and I managed to jump start the car. The clock and settable odometer all rezerowed...

The car drove fine and I got to work with no incidence (about 10 miles). I parked, turned off the engine and restarted it with no incident. Should I be concerned or do anything or just consider it a glitch....

Bob

Reply to
S. Robert Davidoff

When happened to me it was a dead battery.

Reply to
John Burns

You were correct... replaced the battery this afternoon....

Reply to
S. Robert Davidoff

I've found that BMW's are notorious for killing batteries if the car is not driven for an extended period of time. My wife's former X5 and my former '01 750 would have dead batteries after leaving them stored in Florida for

4-5 months during the summer. I even tried a BMW battery maintainer (trickle charger) and the X5 would still be dead upon our return to Florida in the fall. In each case the batteries were not recoverable - they had to be replaced. The 750 had two batteries - over 800 bucks to replace at BMW. BMW replace the X5 battery twice under warranty but, when it happened the third time, they told us we need to drive the car more.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

There is an easy way to avoid all that. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and hook the battery tender to the (now disconnected) battery.

Reply to
Malt_Hound