Computer says engine oil low

Hi,

Have a 1990 525i. The after a long trip of about 40 min. (now it did it the other day after only a few miles) the computer will flash "Engine Oil Low". Get out, open the hood, check the dipstick, reads right in the middle of add and full. What gives? Computer sensor broken? Help!

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
JoeBeem

Old engine (lots of sludge), give it a bit of a thrash down the motorway and it pumps lots of oil into the head, pull off or just lift up and the sump settles and the sensor detects low oil.

Put about half a litre in.

Maybe next time you service it ask about different oils and consider having it flushed out (e.g. with "Gunk").

If you do DIY oil change with the ignition on, it will notice and remember that there wasn't any!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

My 2003 E39 530 light will come on after 5000 miles ... like clockwork. I add 1/2 qt., & all is fine.

Reply to
JimmyG

I'll do the flush and add the oil. Thanks. Joe

Reply to
JoeBeem