Conforti engine chips or their equivalent - worth the $?

If this has been covered recently, I apologize. Just wondering how much extra performance can be gained from this $250 chip. The claims aren't unreasonable (18-20 lbs of torque in the m50 engine), so maybe my '95
E34 525i can be given a small boost. I'm sure some of you have tried these.

-----
I have a Turner Motor Sport (TMS) chip in the '86 535i. I noticed an increase in HP, torque, redline, engine smoothness as it revs, and much more stable idle. I lost 2-3 mpg and the instructions recommend 91 or better at the pump. I run 89 and I notice a slight difference between the 89 and 91 octane. The 10% ethanol doesn't help and it may be why I can feel a difference in the 89. The 91 doesn't have the ethanol, or it isn't advertised as such (89 is). I feel it was worth the $250 I paid and I have a spare original backup ECU, just in case. Check out the TMS site. The claims I experienced coincided with the advertised. I have a stock m30 b34 from 11/85 production.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i