Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

Page 2 of 6
Joe Sterling wrote:

BMWs are more prone to winter skidding accidents for one big reason. All new BMWs are fitted with low-profile, wide section, tires from the factory. Most (all?) of these are all-season. These tires suck in the snow. Then, especially with DSC active, the driver can get themselves going far too fast for the limited traction they have at the time and *crunch*.
Take the same car and put a good set of (narrow) winter tires and smaller wheels, turn off the DSC and it becomes a winter warrior.

Bingo. Check the tires on *any* car in the snow belt and you will know which drivers truly understand cars.

It does when trying to steer, stop, or control a partial skid, especially on snow. This is why it is such a really bad idea to load a bunch of sand bags in the trunk per the old school wisdom. The heavier rear will be more prone to swap ends with the lighter front once you do lose traction. Think of a dart being thrown through the air. It's pretty hard to keep it going with the heavy end in the back.
--
-Fred W

1) Volvo. That's an urban myth. In European tests Merc almost always cam out on top and BMW was/is way up there, too. Depends on model, of course.
2) Jag. Far better that it was, at least in its later pre-Ford days. A byword for unreliability. Ford poured billions into the factory to get it up to scratch.
DAS
"Joe Sterling" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:28:56 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

My Mercury wasn't all that great.

He was actually referring to Mercedes as if you didn't know!
Sir Hugh of Bognor
--

Remember. You may honestly belive that you understood everything
you thought I said but what you thought you heard wasn't
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:54:58 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

I didn't know. How do you abbreviate Mercury in your part of the world. Where I am, a Mercury is called a Merc. Tell me your abbreviation for Mercury and if it's correct I'll start using it. In these parts a Mercedes is called a MB or a Benz. Thanks for your interest though.
Yes, he waa referring to Mercedes. In our part of the world (outside USA and in BMW/Merc NGs) the usual abbreviation for Mercedes-Benz in English is MB or Merc).
In said world VERY few people own Mercurys, so the confusion would not arise... ;-)
DAS
"jerri" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
That still doesn't answer my question. How do you abbrereviate Mercury? In fifty years of driving I have heard people say Merc. many times and they were ALWAYS referring to Mercury. BTW I see many more Mercs. on the road than I do Mercedes! Perhaps I live in a poorer part of the world where there aren't as many people who can afford a MB as opposed to a Merc. I'm sure you feel you are correct and aren't going to change your tninking. If you answer my question, I may be willing to change mine.
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 23:43:32 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

I don't think we give much of a damn what your thinking on abbreviations is.
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:26:52 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@burnt.org.uk wrote:

Thanks. You just made my point!

Not sure what pert of the world (U.S.?) you're in, but in the Washington DC suburbs, "Merc" meant Mercury 50 years ago when a Benz sighting was rare, indeed. Now, since Mercedes are much more common on our roads than Mercurys, "Merc" tends to refer to the German marque, not the American.
To answer your question, don't abbreviate unless the meaning is very clear to others who may have a different geographical/cultural background.
Tom K.
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 13:20:05 -0500, "Tom K."

That's says it much better than I did. I hope the other posters get the point. I'm sure when someone say Benz or MB just about everybody knows what they mean. That evidently isn't the case when someone says Merc. Thanks for your help. Maybe now we can get back on topic and discuss BMWs.

FORD
Scott Robins wrote:

Found On Road, Dead? Fix Or Repair Daily?
--
BBO, couldn't help it.

I don't understand what this has to do with my "thinking". I gave you the facts; do reread my post.
I have no idea what the abbreviation for Ford Mercury is. Like I said "In said world VERY few people own Mercurys".
Let me also spell out the meaning of "said": outside USA and in BMW/Merc NGs.
I am well aware of the fact that "Merc" can also mean Ford Mercury but... see above...
Whilst literacy is not a requirement for NG contributors one does expect posters to at least have a good read of the post to which they are replying.
DAS
"jerri" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:00:22 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

That's my point.

I looked up the defination of "said" and my dictionary didn't mention "USA." BTW this isn't a "BMW/Merc

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:00:22 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

That's my point.

My dictionary doesn't agree with you and this isn't a "BMW/Merc NG." It's a BMW NG.

Guess what company put the Merc-O-Matic Transmission in their vehicles?

I agree 100%. Please follow your suggestion. This is starting to get silly and I won't read any more responses to this off topic subject. Let's get back to BMW. Can we at least agree on what BMW means? Maybe we can argue the meanings of Bimmer And Beemer! IRMC!

It was silly from the start and you are/were being cussed. I (and you) don't need to know the abbreviation here for a Ford Mercury, which is not the subject of discussion in a BMW or Mercedes or for that matter in most other NGs. The Mercs that are mentioned are normally Mercedes-Benz vehicles and the word might even refer to the parent DC (DaimlerChrysler) Corporation, just so that you don't find another reason to be confused.
DAS
"jerri" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

I agree, quite silly. But I must admit that before I started to read usenet auto groups I had never, ever heard a Mercedes abbreviated as Merc even though my father owned Benzes as far back as 1968 and my family has never once owned a Mercury. You see, Merc as an abbreviation for Mercury is quite common here in the US. So naturally I too was thrown off until I figured out that all you Euro types were talking about the Daimler Benz and not FoMoCo products.
I'm afraid it's just another of those (seemingly endless) US/Euro linguistic differences. Just one more thing to hate us all for...
;-)
--
-Fred W

Oh no, just another entry for the British English - US English Dictionary...
http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary / http://english2american.com /
Vive la difference!
BTW, it is not US/Euro... In Europe there are only two English-speaking countries, and one of them is not very big.
It is US/CA/UK/IE/AU/NZ/ZA/IN...
DAS

There are 4 in the UK? Of course there is Welsh and the various types of Gaelic, but the main language in all four is English. With variations...
--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *