Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

Page 5 of 6

So this means a 1 Series BMW isn't a real BMW because it costs less than a 7 Series?
Hint. The Mini is a premium priced product in its class in exactly the same way as every other BMW.
--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dave, I never thought badly of you, but if you persist in this stupidity, I'll be forced to change my mind.

Mini's are not BMW's.

I never thought badly of you but if you persist in this apostrophe abuse I'll be forced to change my mind.
--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.*

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:51:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Its very common in the colonie's for some to indulge in such abuse's when using apostrophe's....or not using them when requirement's dictate.
Dontcha just love it?
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Since I'm posting I might as well say that I tend to agree with this point of view.

I think the jury is out on whether that constitutes apostrophe abuse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plural#Plurals_of_symbols_and_abbreviations
Anoop

No it's not. In this case Minis and BMWs are simple plurals of nouns.
--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

I bet Anoop et al write the London Underground passenger "anouncement's"....
DAS
Oops, I replied in haste before seeing your post...
Still, 'duplication' is reinforcement.
DAS
But what if you stop abusing the apostrophe? The plural of MINI is MINIs. Ditto BMWs.
DAS
"dizzy" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

So what is really happening is that people that buy the MINI really want a BMW but can't afford it in just the same way that the SAAB owner didn't really want an OPEL or VAUXHALL and the PONTIAC owner didn't want a Chevrolet....or the UK/EURO driver buys a Pontiac Grand-Am coz the OPEL/VAUXHALL Omega is just too common?....... all made by GM
Does the VOVLO owner have a thing about driving a FORD and the BMW X5 is it really a road engineered Land Rover?
Where does the FORD Jaguar and the FORD Aston Martin fit in?
Food for thought................
Oh! and was my Rover Sterling really a BMW?
Sir Hugh of Bognor
--

Remember. You may honestly belive that you understood everything
you thought I said but what you thought you heard wasn't

No. It was based on a Honda with all the decent bits changed.
The 75 is different, though.
--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

dizzy wrote:

Where do you get these ideas?
Neither FWD nor V6 engines are intrincicaly cheaper. They fill particular design needs. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, but the main ones are not economic.
--
-Fred W

True, V-6's aren't intrinsically inferior (Ferrari made a number of sweet ones in various configurations ... more successful than his I-6's too). Their shorter length offers packaging advantages versus the I-6. The major advantage to the I-6 is that it can achieve primary and secondary balance using the proper crankshaft design. V-6's (particularly those that represent 3/4's of a 90 degree V-8) tend to be rough as the RPM's climb. 60 or 120 degrees included angle in the V can solve that problem (or flat, just ask Porsche).
FWD is somewhat cheaper to manufacture and creates a compact drivetrain that has minimal impact on the passenger compartment. It also tends to be more difficult to work on when major service is required.
R / John

Most these days use separate balance shafts.
--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and shit head's*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Which is a band-aid for an inferior design...

Whilst partially agreeing, BMW also fit them to some 4 cylinder engines - and very well they work too. I prefer a straight six, but as has been said a bent one has packaging advantages.
--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A four is a different story, obviously.

Well, if BMW are this premium priced maker you think they are what on earth are they doing fitting inferior 4 cylinder engines?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Idiot. (See, you did it.)
For many applications, the I4 is appropriate.

As indeed is a V-6. There's a hole in your bucket...
--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees