Considering a used BMW 530i V6

Page 1 of 3
I'm researching the used BMW market for a 530i V6 and considering extended warranty. Any model years I should consider and any known problems with this
series?
Appreciate your help
thanks

You'll have to search extremely hard. No such thing.
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

I'm located in USA where this model is made available, http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/vehicle_detail/ul87747583/BMW/530I
Thanks
London SW

What Dave was trying to say is that this engine is not a V6. It's an I6 (in-line 6). There is a mistake in that ad as well.
Pete

Dave is commenting on the fact that no BMW ever made has ever had a V6. The car is being sold by a dealer that doesn't know that they are an I6 (Inline 6). I'd be wary of the dealer and sales staff. I'd be wary of anything about them.
OTOE, the cars are excellent, the engine is bullet-proof, the auto transmission is ok. Many complaints about the I-Drive and Navy system. Many complaints about the styling; although new Honda Accords look almost identical to the 5-year old styling.
Main thing is to check the maintenance records. BMW's "free" maintenance is "free" because it's very minimal and does not include differential, brake, transmission and coolant changes in most circumstances. It also includes oil changes only every 15K miles/1 Year.
FloydR
Thank you, appreciate your help
wrote

No - the ad is wrong. It has a straight six engine. BMW's 'trademark'.
As regards aftermarket warranties my view is they are generally poor value for money with a low pay out to income ratio. One report I read reckoned on only 10% - which means you have a 10:1 chance of not even breaking even on the deal. Of course all insurance is a gamble but I prefer better odds than that. If you decide to go ahead read the exclusions carefully. If you can find details, that is. Ignore the banner headlines which tell you what they cover - you need to know what they don't. BMW offer a good warranty on their used cars but it is very expensive. Cheaper ones won't cover as well.
--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

You may be in the USA and this accounts for you idiotic thinking that BMW would actually make a small number of V6 engines especially for you.
WBANA73545CR57897 NA73 5 series E60 (body style) Saloon 530i M54 Engine - inline 6 dohc 3.0 ltr) USA L N 2004/12 (build date)
This is the BMW spec of the car you gave the link to - obviously the dealer is also a fool.
Hugh

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

More likely a simple mistake by whoever composed the details IMO. The engine picture is obviously that of a straight six. I can't see a dealer mistaking it for a V6. Mike.

Sources for "pre-owned" BMW's in order of preference:
CPO car from BMW dealer. The car has to pass a pretty thorough inspection to qualify and it gets a six-year, 100,000 mile warranty (the six years is from FIRST purchase date). Car's maintenance WILL be documented.
Car from reputable private party, preferably found through BMWCCA or similar. Car's maintenance should be documented and it would be nice if it exceeded BMW requirements. PS. If the "owner" suggests you meet at a parking lot somewhere, run, don't walk away, from the deal.
Car from major luxury brand dealership (Lexus, etc). They get nice trade-ins.
Everything and everyone else. (this one qualifies.) This is where some really interesting machines (Salvage titles, flood damaged cars, etc) get turned over. Maybe, maybe not, but you'll never know.
Does the car have maintenance records? It's coming due for Insp 1.
R / John

And since it's a 2005, this service (along with brake fluid flush and brake pads/rotors if needed) should be covered by the free 4 yr/50,000 car BMW maintenance.
Tom K.

Good point. Fluid flush and refill for sure (every two years ... one if you suffer Freudian issues). Brakes are very much driving style and environmet independent. I've got 70K on my first set and there's still quite a bit left.
R / John
The inline six as in the BMW has an honored history. I'm not sure which marque introduced it first, but Roll Royce offered a seven liter six in its Silver Ghost, circa 1907. Chevy got on the bandwagon in 1929, BMW in 1933. Even Ferrari had an I-6 (the type 118 and 121 of 1955).
The I-6 has the inherent advantage of primary and secondary balance. The run smooth. Many of the great cars, and great racing cars, have been equipped with an I-6. The disadvantage is length which creates installation problems. They tend to be a bit heavier than a V-6 and the long crank must be well supported to avoid flexing.
The V-6 is a more recent design. First introduced by Lancia in the Aurelia in 1950. Made its mark with the F-1 Ferrari Dino with Mike Hawthorn's championship season. Inherently unbalanced, it works best in a 60 or 120 degree configuration to minimize vibration (most modern V-6's use balance shafts to counteract vibration). The V-6 is compact, light and its popularity in auto use is only exceeded by the I-4 configuration. It's particularly advantagous in front wheel drive installations (Ala Camry and Accord).
The I-6 is relatively rare in modern cars. Toyota had a nice one (Supra and the G-300), but rather than develop it, turned to the more compact V-6. It's been the signature engine for BMW for years, but with the demand for more and more power, has gradually been superceded by the V-8's (with an occasional V-12 and now V-10 at the top of the heap).
R / John

Back in the twenties and thirties there were some 8 and 12 cylinder inline designs used in performance cars. They resulted in a very, very long hood. --scott

And ignition timing problems. ;-)
--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Sure, but that's not the half of it... imagine trying to synchronize six carbs.... --scott

SNIP

And God created the unisyn/
R / John

And you a sound engineer. You just match the hiss. ;-)
--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Okay, I'll bite. I know of numerous I-8's, V-12's and V-16's. Who made an I-12?
R / John

The inline eights persisted into the fifties in the U.S. with Packard and Pontiac building the last ones in 1954 (Buick replaced theirs with a V-8 after 1953). But never having heard of one before, I am curious about the inline twelves - who built them?
Tom K.