Considering a used BMW 530i V6

Not really. 2000 was the last year of 528i production. In 2001 BMW introduced the 530i with more displacement and somewhat different technology for the valve gear.

The 528i started rolling off the assembly line in 1996 (it was a 97 model in the US). "Beta" version of a car? Well, that's an inventive description. Actually, there are a number of test mules that do (literally) millions of miles before the first production car. Yours would not be one of these. Given it's 2008 and the E39s successor is getting old in the tooth, I wouldn't call it new technology.

True, true. Fairly high mileage for a 2000.

You might try cleaning the contacts of the tail light socket, insure there's no corrosion. I'd also check the battery charge and charging system, sometimes low voltage will lead to curious and non-repeatable problems with the various electronics in the car.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

What do you mean? My 528 is '97.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is the 530iH which has a Honda V6.

Reply to
tww1491

That actually might not be *such* a bad idea...

Reply to
Dean Dark

Never heard of such a thing. Please tell me more.

It is still a high mileage car though, and you can't get around that.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I wasn't, but that is kind of cool. The marine guys are all into very big inline engines because after all they have the room for it. I have seen some big ones, but not anywhere NEAR that big.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey