Control Arm Bushing

Ok I took my 328i 1998 E36 in to get alignment they said I needed new Control Arm Bushing. They said they would get them from the dealer for $68 I said no
becasue I found them at $15 a piece. I paid for the aligment all four wheels $99.95 they said the labor to replace the Control Arm Bushing would be $225... That would includ the secound front end alignment, is this to much? Should I do it my self and just pay for the front end alignment? ($45), or is it pretty difficult?
Jesse wrote:

You really want to get some Lemforder ones or you'll be doing it again every year or so. They can be bought for 22.18 a pair here:
http://www.sasponline.com /
Once you get the bushings off the control arms (you'll need a puller of some sort to do that) you will then have to bring them somewhere to get someone to press the old bushings out and new bushings into the brackets with a big hydraulic press. Not a job for the home hack mechanic. Then you will have to get the front end aligned (again) with the new bushings in place.
But I really don't understand why you paid them to do the alignment if the bushings were going to be replaced and you'll have to do it again.
--
-Fred W

They said the alignment was done because the bushings are not a must fix right now, but if i did fix it the would do the front end alignment for free.
Malt_Hound wrote:

Jesse wrote:

OK. Good deal then.
--
-Fred W

There is a spec based on the clearance in the rubber part, and you can pursue that if you are a a perfectionist, but I would probably wait until the control arms, which contain the ball joints, need replacing, and do them together.