Convertible Top Question

I recently purchased a 1999 323i with the full automatic convertible top. The problem is the top won't go down. The LED light on the top control flashes and both motors are engaged but the latches won't
disengage to allow the top to move. I've read about a procedure to "re synch" the motors but it only seems to work it the top is already down. Well, I'd like to get the top down to try this but I don't see how to disengage the latches. So if you have any ideas I'd really appreciate them.
TIA
Octo

I hate guys with BMW convertibles.
Pat
Pat Durkin wrote:

We are crushed...
--
-Fred W
'94 540iA

And here I thought I was going to get a good night's sleep tonight.
Paul 2005 330CiC
snipped-for-privacy@user.net wrote:

Bad trimming. I did not say that.
--
-Fred W

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:16:40 -0500, Fred W

My apologies. Purely unintentional.
Pat Durkin wrote:

Well, right back at ya. ;-)

Don't know if this is relevant as my convertible is a Z4, but isn't there a manual override procedure described in the owner's manual? Also, the top compartment in the trunk may not be in the top up position, or may be blocked. Otherwise, it sounds like dealer time. Good luck.
Tom K.
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 09:20:15 -0500, "Tom K."

I found some documentation on the Internet and managed to get the top down manually. Once I reconnected the motors it was able to fully close on its own. So I tried to put it down again on its own power this time. Everything went smoothly unit it got to where the storage top is suppose to open. The storage top won't open on its own so now I need to figure out if its something that's out of adjustment or what.
Thanks for the help!
Octo
snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.nospam.com wrote:

If you have the owners manual - it will show you the allen wrench that is used to latch (or unlatch I guess) the electronic release for the front edge of the top. It should be in your tool kit in the trunk lid.
There is a square plastic plate on the bottom of the top interior edge (right below the hand-grip sort of recess) - pop this off and the place the allen wrench is used will be revealed.
As a FWIW - it is probably worthwhile to take this to a dealer so they can hook the computer up and see why the top won't go down. There are multiple interlock switches on the top that have to be in the right state before anything will work, and if you do get the top open, there is a fair chance you won't be able to get it back up.
'98 M3C