Converting an 840 to manual?

Can it be done? Has it been done? Don't want to butcher a nice car.

JD

Reply to
JD

Why not just buy an 840 manual? I am always confused by such posts.

Reply to
Haydon

"Haydon" wrote

Perhaps because the 840 *NEVER* was sold with a manual? At least in the US.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Anything can be done if your check book is fat enough.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was under the impression that the 840 never got a manual which has been somewhat borne out by the the fact that I've never found one while

6 speed manual 850's abound. Am I wrong?

JD

Reply to
JD

If your checkbook is fat enough you can re-invent the wheel. Smart money doesn't do that.

JD

Reply to
JD

The other option is

You can fit anything into anything if you have a big enough hammer - Hemi 426 in a Beetle

Reply to
Oscar

Then why are you asking if you can reinvent the wheel? Your car is what it is, and that's all it can be.

If you like the car but want a manual transmission, then sell the car and buy one that has a manual. It would be cheaper, and the inventing will already have been done.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff, don't be that way.

The 8 series was a very unique car. The 12 cylinder engine option (850) means that you get a hand built engine that is very, very, very expensive (not to mention time consuming) to maintain. The 8 cylinder option means that you get the engine that was also present in the 540 (and 530) cars and so is not nearly as exotic, nor expensive to maintain, nor as unreliable.

The problem is the 8 series with the (desirable) 8 cylinder engine only came with that piece of shit automatic transmission that robs all the enjoyment of driving and has the propensity of fragging itself at the drop of a hat due to faulty check valves, among other things. (google: BMW plastic check valve ball)

So, it is quite natural that someone would want to attach a manual (preferably 6 speed) transmission to a nice 5 liter V8 engine in an 8 series body.

Get it?

Reply to
Fred W

Since I've figured out that none of the US versions of the 840 had a manual the question evolves to whether any of the LHD Euro versions did. Import one?

JD

Reply to
JD

I'd wonder if the clutch pedal/linkage/etc. from the 850 could be mounted to the 840. then I would search for the 6-speed from a 5 Series that is mated to the back of a 540.

That's the only way I see this happening.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And then you need the right computers etc.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Oscar,

Thank you for not disappo>>

Reply to
Psycho

At the back of my mind ISTR it being mentioned here before and Brett Anderson? who owns or works at an independant BMW facility was the one to ask. Haven't seen him post here recently but a Google should sort things out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This would be the angle I'd look at doing it. You MAY be able to get information from the TIS reference on what parts may be needed. If the UK versions were available with a manual tranny, at least you'd be able to get the mounts and things. Might have to fabricate this stuff. As for computers, was the tranny controlled by computer???

BTW - A little research (and a call to a BMW salvage yard) reveals that the 840's were available with a manual up until 1995. 1996 on was only offered with the auto. The manual didn't sell well and was discontinued. Now there's a change. The parts are available for this conversion but seeing as the manual wasn't a big seller they are going to be harder to find. The wrecker shows a 94 840 in thier inventory so I asked him to look into what it is. Will let you know what I learn...

Reply to
Psycho

Possibly depends on the age, as there were several transmissions

four speed four speed switchable? five speed switchable I don't know if the five speed steptronic made it onto the 8 series - maybe the last few.

AFAIK all of them used some degree of electronic control (certainly from the four speed switchable on) and in addition had to interface with the engine management to dip the throttle during change ups and blip it during change downs, however on a manual the driver does this while pressing the clutch.

This was the tail end of them - I don't think they were sold much at all after that.

BMW launched various sports models around this time, so the 8 series became more of a luxury sports coupe (bit like Merc. SEC).

The original 850i manual had a 6 speed box.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

So what is wrong with that statement as Jeff said previously. If you want to spend the money anything can be done.

Just that you don't appreciate superiour wit!

Reply to
Oscar