Coolant light

Hello all, My check coolant light came on and the coolant was low so I put some in. A week later it came on again and before I could get to the next exit it was over heated and the hose from the radiator blew off. I took it to a local bmw mechanic and they were very nice and seemed really competent. They replaced the thermastat and the radiator and of course the hose. I picked the car up and it was fun for the 45 min drive home. I parked, went to do some errors later and the dang light is on again :( . 1/2 the reserve tank is full and it seems to be running in the middle of the temp. :) The heater does not seem to be working either. :( No leaks under the car at any time. :? Could they have forgotten to reset the computer? Could it be the sensor? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
mld

If the heater isn't working chances are the system wasn't bled properly to remove all the air, assuming the coolant level is correct.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A radiator hose blew off?

That sounds like something more serious than a thermostat, especially since you've been losing water regularly as well. If your temp is fine, I suggest you check your radiator hoses again next time you stop and switch off the engine after a drive. Your radiator hoses should be soft (don't burn yourself), otherwise there is excessive pressure in your cooling system, most probably caused by a blown cylinder head gasket.

If the pressure builds up like this, and your hoses are in good condition and properly clamped on, water will seep out somewhere and could even damage your radiator.

Good luck MW

Reply to
MW de Jager

What year and model are we talking about?

Regardless of model, it sounds like it wasn't bled correctly. BMW's are pretty particular about this. If after rebleeding you still are loosing coolant, the year and model will be important as the different engines have their own quirks that are prone to leakage.

Kyle.

97 M3 98 740iL
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

I had a similar scary moment last night in my E38 730i V8. First time I'd put the heater on in anger since buying the car last month. It went about 3/4 of the way up the temp gauge and I was getting no heat from the heater. Had to return home to bleed the system and top up the coolant. She's been fine since.

It had a service not long before I bought it, as it was summer it's possible the so called mechanic who did the coolant change didn't turn the heater on when bleeding the system.

Reply to
John Burns