Crappy AM Reception

Page 1 of 2
Replacement ideas for the rubber duck on the '02 version E46 convertibles? This one's gotta go.
Or, should I just pony-up and get the Sirius option?

The "rubber duck" is *NOT* your AM (or FM for that matter) antenna. It's in your rear window - the vertical embedded wires. It could be the RF amplifier built into the wiring; however, poor AM reception is a notorious feature of BMWs.
Floyd
wrote

On a convertible? Mike.

Yikes; didn't see that.
Floyd
fbloogyudsr wrote:

Well heck. I guess I'm not crazy when I went out to look at my rear window, trying to find the hidden wires. ;-)
My question still stands:
Is there a replacement that's better, for the '02, 330 CONVERTABLE, or should I just get "Sirius"? ;-)

AM reception is notoriously bad on BMW's, anyone who has good AM reception is in the minority.
wrote

sound quality is still very deficient. Jim

All sorts of baseball (and other sports) are on (free) AM radio. And, in many parts of the west, FM reception is way out-of-range bad. And of course, if you're a Rush fan...
Floyd
fbloogyudsr wrote:

I would like to go on record at this time. I am most certainly _not_ a Rush Limbaugh fan.
Thank you. ;-)

Now, now! I *could* have meant the rock group (of course there isn't much rock on AM anymore) ;-)
Floyd
wrote

hatemongers whipping up their fear and intolerance. There is one AM news station that is just news, not opinions on the news, but their broadcast antennas are two counties and some tall mountains away, so I tend to hum a lot. Actually I have a portable XM radio that plugs into the aux jack so I really can't complain. (Except I could use the traffic reports from the news station to plot my occasional course to the city in an optimal manner.)
My previous wheels (Acura TL) had a great radio with excellent AM and FM reception. AND CUPHOLDERS!
On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:50:01 -0700, "Alphageek"

Why is there a need for cupholders in a car? I can see the need in a minivan or an SUV, but why are they needed in a car?
--
Dan.

I drink water constantly. I carry cases of water in the trunk, or boot, whatever you prefer to call it. When I take a bottle into the car, where am I to keep it while driving? In my lap? Ask my passenger to hold it for me? No. I put it into the cup holder. Is that too much to ask of the damn design engineers? I am not asking for a wet bar for heaven's sake!!!
In terms of a cup holder, why is my BMW sedan (or saloon, whatever you prefer to call it)different from a minivan or SUV, neither of which would you ever find in my garage.

Why? Doesn't the air con work?
--
*Rehab is for quitters

London SW

The A/C works great. Can you drink from it? (not counting the condensation)

Well, anyone who needs to drink water *constantly* unless it's very hot is probably diabetic. Most can manage many hours without when doing such a low energy task as driving.
--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

On Mon, 30 May 2005 11:06:21 -0700, "Alphageek"

There's your problem. What did you do in the days before cupholders in cars, or weren't you driving back then?
--
Dan.

I've been driving long enough to remember no cup holders (and seat belts for that matter) but almost every car has them now. I can understand the gradual disappearance of ashtrays and lighters, but why cup holders? Did all the water drinkers give up their filthy, disgusting habit? Maybe I need to go to the Dasani rehab clinic. Must I have turn in my BMW ownership credentials because I'm no longer worthy? I'll have to 'degrade' and get another Acura. Great cupholders and radios (remember radios? the original subject of this thread?)
By the way, what did you do in the days before windshield wipers, or weren't you driving back then? ;>)
On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:50:23 -0700, "Alphageek"

Not quite, but I do remember that not until the third car I owned did I have *self parking* windscreen (UK...) wipers, and I was tickled to death at being able to turn then off at any time without having to wait and time it so they were down flat.
Not all innovations are good, however. The automatic transmission, power steering, cupholders, drinks in cars, and the cell phone all contribute to the modern style of driving that seems to only ever use one hand. Apart from the distraction and wandering about that non-driving secondary activities cause, there are other dangerous trends developing, such as non-use of turn signals apparently due to not having a free hand to work the stalk. The scary thing is that it's becoming accepted behavior by those who do it, and other drivers.
But few will admit that any such in-car habits that *they* have affects their concentration or driving ability one little bit. They're all 'above average' drivers.
--
Dan.

Yes...when will it end?