Crappy AM Reception

Replacement ideas for the rubber duck on the '02 version E46 convertibles? This one's gotta go.

Or, should I just pony-up and get the Sirius option?

Reply to
bk49

"bk49" wrote

The "rubber duck" is *NOT* your AM (or FM for that matter) antenna. It's in your rear window - the vertical embedded wires. It could be the RF amplifier built into the wiring; however, poor AM reception is a notorious feature of BMWs.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

convertibles?

On a convertible? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" wrote

Yikes; didn't see that.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Well heck. I guess I'm not crazy when I went out to look at my rear window, trying to find the hidden wires. ;-)

My question still stands:

Is there a replacement that's better, for the '02, 330 CONVERTABLE, or should I just get "Sirius"? ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

AM reception is notoriously bad on BMW's, anyone who has good AM reception is in the minority.

Reply to
CJ

Who really worries about AM? Even on cars with good AM recepetion, the sound quality is still very deficient. Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote

All sorts of baseball (and other sports) are on (free) AM radio. And, in many parts of the west, FM reception is way out-of-range bad. And of course, if you're a Rush fan...

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I would like to go on record at this time. I am most certainly _not_ a Rush Limbaugh fan.

Thank you. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Now, now! I *could* have meant the rock group (of course there isn't much rock on AM anymore) ;-)

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

There isn't much on AM around here anymore except for the ultra-conservative hatemongers whipping up their fear and intolerance. There is one AM news station that is just news, not opinions on the news, but their broadcast antennas are two counties and some tall mountains away, so I tend to hum a lot. Actually I have a portable XM radio that plugs into the aux jack so I really can't complain. (Except I could use the traffic reports from the news station to plot my occasional course to the city in an optimal manner.)

My previous wheels (Acura TL) had a great radio with excellent AM and FM reception. AND CUPHOLDERS!

Reply to
Alphageek

AM reception is poor on any screen aerial IMHO. And I'm not sure the diversity system used by BMW will actually work at such low frequencies.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why is there a need for cupholders in a car? I can see the need in a minivan or an SUV, but why are they needed in a car?

Reply to
Dean Dark

People who enjoy listening to sports or talk radio.

Neither of the above two uses require good fidelity.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

The AM reception is much improved on my E36 after I replaced the head unit with a (*gasp*) Sony Xplode CDX-L600X.

This model is no longer in production (unfortunately) but it actually fits very well with the BMW dash scheme and both tuners (AM&FM) are far more sensitive that the OE. I still use the stock antenna and, as I recall, had to make sure to properly wire the power to (the amp) it when installing the deck. I did not have a CD Changer in this car, and actually prefer a dash player so I can change my music as my mood changes on a long trip.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I drink water constantly. I carry cases of water in the trunk, or boot, whatever you prefer to call it. When I take a bottle into the car, where am I to keep it while driving? In my lap? Ask my passenger to hold it for me? No. I put it into the cup holder. Is that too much to ask of the damn design engineers? I am not asking for a wet bar for heaven's sake!!!

In terms of a cup holder, why is my BMW sedan (or saloon, whatever you prefer to call it)different from a minivan or SUV, neither of which would you ever find in my garage.

Reply to
Alphageek

Why? Doesn't the air con work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's your problem. What did you do in the days before cupholders in cars, or weren't you driving back then?

Reply to
Dean Dark

The A/C works great. Can you drink from it? (not counting the condensation)

Reply to
Alphageek

I've been driving long enough to remember no cup holders (and seat belts for that matter) but almost every car has them now. I can understand the gradual disappearance of ashtrays and lighters, but why cup holders? Did all the water drinkers give up their filthy, disgusting habit? Maybe I need to go to the Dasani rehab clinic. Must I have turn in my BMW ownership credentials because I'm no longer worthy? I'll have to 'degrade' and get another Acura. Great cupholders and radios (remember radios? the original subject of this thread?)

By the way, what did you do in the days before windshield wipers, or weren't you driving back then? ;>)

Reply to
Alphageek