Cruise Control error on new 3-series

Has anyone ever got the cruise control error on the new 3-series?
I have seen it on both '06 330xi and '08 335xi, both 6-sp manuals.
When pulling the cruise stalk to set speed, you get gong sound and big
yellow cruise icon with exclamation point. Also see small orange triangle below that. After a few sec, goes away.
From that point on though, the cruise control is inoperative until you restart the car.
Thanks for any info,
Mike

Buggy area, but have you tried to engage at too low a speed?
No, this was at around 70MPH.
I have tried going below 20, and it does give an error (as it should), however, once you go above 20 the cruise usually "catches" OK.
In the 70MPH example, the cruise is completely disabled after throwing the error for the first time. Until restart car then all OK.
Does not do it all the time.
Very strange.
Mike