cruise control failure - 1996 e36 328i

The car is 10 years old with 105K miles on it, and otherwise in excellent condition. It runs very well and all that. Just in the past few weeks, the cruise control became intermittent, where it would work
in the morning but not in the afternoon (heat?). Now it has ceased to work at all.
Anyone else experience this or have thoughts on the cause and solution?
Karl Winkler http://www.giovanniquartet.com http://www.karlwinkler.com
1994 325is would do something similar. The first few times it did not work I would pull over, pop the hood, disconnect and reconnect the cruise and go along my merry way. The "cure" for mine was to go to the driver's inner fender, disconnect the wiring from the cruise, spray it down with electric contact cleaner and put it back together.
On 7/11/2006 5:33 AM, ReddDawg went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced this interesting bit of text:

Every so often, maybe once every six or eight months, my cruise control won't engage. I pull over, turn the car completely off and then restart the car. Essentially I'm rebooting the computer. This does the job for me.
--
All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height. -
Casey Stengel

9 times out of 10 pulling the unit and resoldering EVERYTHING fixes this.
It's usually a cracked solder joint.
Richard Sexton wrote:

in mind.
Karl Winkler http://www.giovanniquartet.com http://www.karlwinkler.com