Curise Control turns off on its own... can not restart unless turn off car

1998 740il, 100,000 miles. Yesterday and today now the car's cruise turns off. I am driving with cruise on and it turns off. The indicator light goes off
too. I can not turn it back on until I re-start the car.
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
thanks rick

sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak somewhere, This was the problem on my 1999 E39 540i
Thanks Greg.. sounds like a visit to the dealer..... :( rick