Cylinder bank numbering

Page 1 of 2
Before I replace the wrong O2 sensor, would somebody please be kind enough to confirm that BMW numbers their V8 cylinder banks 1 to 4 right side and 5 to 8 left side?

--
Dan.

No 1 is certainly on the right, but if the numbering is similar to other V8's, it's probably odd No's to the right and even No's to the left. Ie. 1 3 5 7 on the right and 2 4 6 8 on the left. Mike.

Thanks for that. Fairly extensive googling fails to give me a definite answer, and I know that there isn't a common standard for cylinder numbering of V engines. I'll go with the right side O2 sensor, and see what happens.
--
Dan.

I'd always thought looking at the front of the engine, odds on the right was the most common. Ie, No 1 is at the front of the car, US driver's side.
--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Try googling for the distributor wiring.

Has any BMW V-8 got a distributor - apart from those of many years ago?
--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 23:34:03 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

I'm looking for bank numbering. I'm not sure what the firing order has to do with it.
In spite of everything, I'm going with bank 1 being on the right. I think it's a good bet and if I'm wrong, then I'll just have to get under the damned car again and swap it.
--
Dan.

Well, according to Bentleys, No1 cyl is definitely on the right when facing the front of the engine. Dunno what others are on about but AFAIK cylinder numbering 'always' starts from the front of an engine. The front being the end with the pulley for the ancilliaries. Fan, alternator etc. Mike.

Because if you know the order you can follow the spark plug leads and see where they go!

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:25:18 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

I once carelessly put a distributor back into a 4 cylinder engine 360 degrees out of whack, and plonked the existing distributor cap and plug leads back on it. When I eventually figured out what the problem was, I had one of those rare moments of inspiration and just changed the plug wires around instead of taking the damned distributor back out and repositioning it.
Pray tell how anyone could tell which was # 1 cylinder on that car just from the plug leads, either before or after I'd messed with it.

I'm happy to report that my doings with O2 sensors appear to confirm that cylinder bank 1 - 4 is, in fact on the right. And I wasn't daft enough to mess with the plug wires or anything like that this time.
--
Dan.

How on earth can you get a disto 360 degrees out?

360 crankshaft degrees?
--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

It's quite easy to do, if you think about it. What's the relationship between camshaft and crakshaft RPM?
--
Dan.

Yes I understand now you were referring to crankshaft degrees.

The correct question is, Bank 1 Left or Right?
I've always understood Bank 1 to be on the left side when sitting in the Driver's Seat.

Dean Dark wrote:

Kinda depends whether you're looking at it from the front of the car facing the rear or drivers seat facing forwards :-)
--
Regards

Steve G

Those weren't insults, believe me.

I just found that the ETK parts manual numbers the cylinders 1 to 4 on the right side and 5 to 8 on the left side. That matches the fault code descriptions of "cylinder bank 1 - 4" and "cylinder bank 5 - 8," so I think that's what I'll go with.
--
Dan.

Now the only question is, which side is left and which is right. The left side of the motor is on the left side of the car when sitting in the driver seat, or standing at the back and looking forward. The driver's door is the left door, and so on. The left side of the motor is NOT the left side as you stand at the front of the car and look into the engine bay.
1 to 4 is normally on the left side, and 5 to 8 on the right.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:51:41 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"

Well, according to the ETK, 1 to 4 cylinders are on the right and 5 to 8 are on the left. The four exhaust manifolds each go to cylinders 1 & 3, 2 & 4 on the right, and 5 & 6 and 7 & 8 on the left. My inclination would be to number the cylinders in crankshaft order from front to back, but that doesn't seem to be the way that BMW does it.
Oh, and I'm assuming there that you wouldn't have the same confusion over which is the front and back of the car as you possibly might seem to have over which is the left and the right :-)
--
Dan.

There is only one left, and one right, when referring to a vehicle.
Left and right are ALWAYS from the driver's seat.
The LEFT side of a vehicle in the US usually contains the steering wheel. The LEFT side of a vehicle in Great Britain usually contains the passenger seat.
When one is standing at the front of the car (why, oh why, did BMW go away from the rear opening bonnet/hood?), the LEFT side of the car is still the side that has the steering wheel in the US, or the passenger seat in the UK. Yes, you smart arses, there are exceptions if there is a RHD car in America or an LHD in the UK.
The easy way to remember banks, and/or cylinder numbering in a BMW is this. What side of the car did you need to stand on to remove the spark plugs from a 1970's 4 or 6 cylinder BMW? The RIGHT hand side. The cylinder number is 1 to 4, or 6, starting at the front. So, cylinder number 1 is the forward most cylinder on the RIGHT hand side of the car. Go back from there. When you run out of cylinders, move to the LEFT side. The even/odd numbering system is an American V8 trait that has probably made it's way into various European models, but not BMW.
V8, cylinders 1 through 4 are the RIGHT bank, cylinders 5 through 8 are the LEFT bank. V12, 1-6 RIGHT, 7-12 LEFT.
To add a little confusion, in a 6 cylinder car, if there is a reference to Bank 1, and Bank 2, bank 1 is the first 3 cylinders, bank 2 is the back 3 cylinders.
Hope this helps.
Brett Anderson KMS - Koala Motorsport www.bmw-stuff.com