Cylinder order

I should probably know this, but I'll ask anyway to save some time doing the process of elimination. How are the cylinders numbered on my 328i? Is it 1-6 front to back, or back to front? Or something
different altogether?
Thanks!

1 is in front. Zundfolge (firing order) is 153624
FloydR
15 is too young 36 is too old 24 is just right.
153624
wrote

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:34:30 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"

Clever. But let me tell you that I have experience of some 40+ ones that are *pretty* *damned* *hot* as well.
--
Dan.

and for a V8?

all based on sound practical experienced - well except perhaps for the "as well".
Still a V8 order of 52 61 37 48 would seem to suit?

All cylinders are numbered from 1 in the front to whatever in the back.
There are variances on V8 and V6 motors where the numbers are either odd or even on one side, or sequential, but 1 is always the forward most cylinder on the crankshaft and the highest number is the rear most cylinder on the crankshaft.
I got into a lengthy discussion a few months back about whether #1 was on the right or left bank, but I could have looked for myself and found that my argument was flawed. I promoted the notion that #1 was the left side first piston, but on my own vehicle, it was clear that the right side bank of pistons was forward with respect to the right, making my argument to be in error.
Despite my confusion on which side was forward of the other, the #1 piston is always the forward piston on the crankshaft. The rest are numbered toward the rear.
Keep in mind that front and rear of the engine are relative. If the motor is sideways, the front could be on the left or the right side, depending on the engineers. I seem to recall that my Hondas had the front of the motor to the left side, but I can't say that the front will always be on the left. It should be a safe statement that the rear of the engine is the end that has the transmission bolted to it, and the front is the end that has the belt(s) that run the auxiliary stuff such as power steering and air conditioning.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:32:28 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"

And to make matters worse, for the longest time Honda engines ran backwards. I think the engine in the S2000 was the first one that ran the 'correct' way. It may have had something to do with Honda's ambition to be an engine supplier to other car makers. GM uses Honda engines in some marque models now, though they don't advertise it. I think they should, I'd buy a _shed_ with a Honda engine in it - knowing that the engine will therefore be the *least* of my problems.
--
Dan.