Damaged Air Filter

I purchased a used BMW about six months ago from a BMW dealer. I have had problems with exhaust related items and have spent a lot of money fixing it.

The car repair people (they have an excellent reputation) showed me the air filter in the car: it was improperly installed and bent so that the air was not being filtered as it came into the engine.

The salesperson told me that the dealership had done all the repairs.

Either

  1. The dealership improperly installed the air filter and then sold it to me without inspecting

  1. The dealership did not install the air filterbut still sold it to me without inspecting

What recourse should I have here?

Reply to
bushlyed

OR the dealership installed the filter and clamped the air cleaner shut, and there was nothing to inspect afterwards.

Unless the engine is toast from sucking in mass amounts of dirt, you have no recourse. If your driving is always on city streets and highways where there is no dirt to pseak of, the air cleaner really does not do much. Yes, over the life of the car, the air cleaner is a vital part. But, in the short run, it really is not of much consequence. It surely would do more internal damage to the motor than to affect the exhaust components.

And, if you took the car to a quick lube joint for an oil change, there is a very real possibility that the gorillas at that place mucked up the air filter anyhow.

Fix the installation of the filter and move on. It is not part of the problem set you have described.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Replace the freeking air filter and get on with your life.

Reply to
Fred W