damaging transmission or engine using steptronics

2006 bmw 530i
curuios when using steptronic driving at high speed in high gear then downshifting to lower gear would damage occur to transmision or engine.

In theory not, because it won't change down until the rev's would not exceed the red line. Older boxes and overdrives did not have this protection and you could overspeed the engine.
I did manage to blow up a 4 speed box in a 735 in 1991 by shifting from drive to reverse at ~3,000rpm. I was however being distracted by the maniac with a machete who was trying to hack his way through the windscreen at the time...

Sounds like an experience to be told. Do tell. :-)
--
snipped-for-privacy@dod.no

Sounds like someone's husband came home at just the wrong time. LoL.

He was a would be burglar. He tried claiming pre-emptive self defence on the reverse of those grounds, but his guesses at names were all wrong. It took the police six months to find him, but then he got done.

No. It is 'protected' from selecting a gear at a speed outside the 'safe' range of the engine or transmission.
--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?